Molest any wildlife lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, I saw that...I was just trying to be clear that the agencies don't have anything to do with what people do outside of courses.

Definitely strikes this operator off my list because they allowed this behaviour, should I ever wish to visit that area.

alcina:
Definitely strikes this operator off my list because they allowed this behaviour, should I ever wish to visit that area.

Bingo! Same here.

I was recently Belize, were Whale Sharks come every spring to feed on Snapper spawn. A few years ago they were seeing dwindling numbers of sharks. This was attributed to divers molesting the sharks, much like those in the pictures. They introduced very strict regulations, including a $10,000 fine for anyone caught touching a Whale Shark. Since introducing these regultions, the sharks have come back. So for everyone who thinks a Whale Shark doesn't mind being touched, there is pretty clear evidence that they actually do mind.

Three years ago, we were eating at a restaurant in Keylargo, a baby manatee came up on to the boat launch ramp, and the little kids (2 to 5 yo.) ran down and played with it, giving it fresh water from a hose, etc... It liked the attention.

Wonder if the kids knew that they are breaking state law and can go to jail? Be kinda cool, mug shots of a bunch of kids....

This is crazy. You are saying that these people are molesting an animal that is 10 times the size of them. In my opinion they are doing the same thing that the majority of divers would do ( notice I said the majority because I know there are several tree huggers out there). I understand and agree that you are all originally upset about the octopus on the "O" but damn, don't take it out on a once in a life time dream. From what I have heard there were several operators in the area that swam with this shark and no one injured the shark. If the shark felt threatened it could have easily just left. As for as blaming this on any agency is ludicrous. My only problem with the whole situation is that I am jealous that I was not there for the encounter.

jefffalcone:
.... This was attributed to divers molesting the sharks, much like those in the pictures. They introduced very strict regulations, including a $10,000 fine for anyone caught touching a Whale Shark. Since introducing these regultions, the sharks have come back. So for everyone who thinks a Whale Shark doesn't mind being touched, there is pretty clear evidence that they actually do mind.

Hold up just a sec here, you first state that the problem was due to molestation of sharks. Then you say that the real problem was people simply touching the animals.

So, if I kick it, am I moliesting it? Because you just tried to define molestation as touching. If I go beyond just touching, and try to touch in an attempt to harm, is it molestation?

Obviously, it is. Molestation involves more than just touching. Many animals seem to enjoy being touched, patted or rubbed, like our fmaily dog. We roll around on the floor with her, rubbing and patting very vigorously, is that molestation? No. If the shark seems to enjoy it, it doesn't mean it's good for it, but it doesn't meanit's bad for it either.

I am against most interaction between man and non-domesticated animals. However, if a manatee rolled over on it's back for me, I'd rub it's stomach. And if a whale shark was next to me, I might run a hand over it too. I wouldn't ride it, tug on it, walk on it, etc, but I don't think simply touching it willk ill it. Unless you had every person in the world touch it. Moderation in everything. :)

Do I condone their behavior? No. Do I condemn their behaviour? Eh....not really. Would I ask them to stop if I was on the boat? Yes. Will I avoid harrassing animals? Yes, of course! Will I avoid interacting with animals in ways tht seem to be healthy for both of us? Never. :)

I'm thrilled that so many people in the area are getting to experience one of the truly awesome animals on this planet. In my less tactful days, I would've loved to swim up and grab the shark and let it take me for a ride. However, I've realized that I can appreciate an animal without harassing it. While the whale shark is a huge fish, humans are not natural encounters for them. It may like the attention or not, but it is not our place to interfere with it. Too many times do I hear of people with simple intentions, injuring an animal. A boat hit a whale shark a couple of weeks ago in Pensacola Pass. The boat was in a hurry to "experience" the shark and ran right up on it. I think simply watching an animal can be just as, if not more enjoyable.

JahJahwarrior:
Hold up just a sec here, you first state that the problem was due to molestation of sharks. Then you say that the real problem was people simply touching the animals.

So, if I kick it, am I moliesting it? Because you just tried to define molestation as touching. If I go beyond just touching, and try to touch in an attempt to harm, is it molestation?

Obviously, it is. Molestation involves more than just touching. Many animals seem to enjoy being touched, patted or rubbed, like our fmaily dog. We roll around on the floor with her, rubbing and patting very vigorously, is that molestation? No. If the shark seems to enjoy it, it doesn't mean it's good for it, but it doesn't meanit's bad for it either.

I am against most interaction between man and non-domesticated animals. However, if a manatee rolled over on it's back for me, I'd rub it's stomach. And if a whale shark was next to me, I might run a hand over it too. I wouldn't ride it, tug on it, walk on it, etc, but I don't think simply touching it willk ill it. Unless you had every person in the world touch it. Moderation in everything. :)

Do I condone their behavior? No. Do I condemn their behaviour? Eh....not really. Would I ask them to stop if I was on the boat? Yes. Will I avoid harrassing animals? Yes, of course! Will I avoid interacting with animals in ways tht seem to be healthy for both of us? Never. :)

I don't really care how you define molestation. It's just symantics. In Belize you are actually prohibited from coming within 15' of the sharks or blocking the shark's path as it is swimming. If the shark is swimming towards you, you are supposed to get out of the way so that it doesn't have to alter it's natural path. Since introducing these regulations there has been a dramatic increase in the number of sharks returning to Belize each spring. So if you don't want Whale Sharks to come around, go ahead and touch them. Personally, I can enjoy them without touching them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom