Moldable mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure why you are interested in the custom mouthpiece, but I was thinking about one several years ago to reduce jaw strain. Instead, I switched to a more flexible hose (braided) and added a swivel connector between the hose and my second stage. Now I hardly need to use my teeth at all to hold the regulator in my mouth.

--Thumbsplitter
I agree those options can also be effective solutions. If you try that, there are Miflex swivel hoses available, so you can reduce the amount of brass you add with a separate swivel.

I like the Atomic Comfo-bite type mouthpieces. I tend to clamp down on conventional mouthpiece whether I need to or not. That's not uncommon.

The moldable ones were a big improvement and I still use one on my primary second stage when on open circuit. I have a comfo-bite on my CCR loop and it accomplishes much the same thing - I can loosen my jaw and retain the DSV. The moldable piece is not so good on the loop because the loop doesn't move much and the moldable ones lock me in place, making it harder to turn my head. So, moldable on a second stage, which moves with my head, and comfo-bite on the loop, which lets me turn my head "around" the mouthpiece and still retain it.

@kelemvor
Thank You Kelemor

I have been doing it all wrong
I have been placing my head in the boiling water and the biting down

Now I know !
SDM
LOL....Where is that thread for "most humorous post ever"?

Not sure why you are interested in the custom mouthpiece, but I was thinking about one several years ago to reduce jaw strain. Instead, I switched to a more flexible hose (braided) and added a swivel connector between the hose and my second stage. Now I hardly need to use my teeth at all to hold the regulator in my mouth.

--Thumbsplitter

Thanks but my gear already has all of that.

Another vote for SeaCure.

First off, I contacted them prior to purchase to confirm fit to my regulator and my dive buddies. Very helpful, very good customer service.

You can mold it multiple times to get the fit just right. **TIP: When molding, tilt your head up, as though you are in horizontal trim looking forward.** Your jaw changes alignment slightly in that position.

I did some minor trimming at the back end, near the molars to finalize the comfort.

I'm on 40" hose under the right arm, with a 90, and the SeaCure. I feel that I can dive all day with no jaw issues or tension headaches. 4 boat dives plus a night dive and I'm still feeling great!

I highly recommend anyone try one out. Of course we're all different, and there is no perfect solution for everybody, but I will definitely stand by my experience with it.

Cheers and good luck!
:cheers:

I purchased one this past summer put out by Trident. It cos about 15 euros which was 50% less than the other brand the shop had. It has worked well and can be remolded if needed.

I was experiencing 2 problems:
1) I have a sensitive gag reflex so a mouth piece that really fills the mouth is a problem and also if the bite wings extend too far back it is a problem for me.

2) I was using the aqulung comfobite on one 2nd stage and knockoff on the another....I found them a bit too small. I like the band that goes across the roof of the mouth behind the upper front teeth but the shape was too small in general and I found it if I was diving in current I had to bite down to keep the 2nd stage secure in my mouth which causes jaw fatigue.

I had to cut the mouth piece ends to keep it from triggering my gag reflex but I consider that a part of customizing it. Since switching to the custom moulded mouthpiece I have not had any issues and in fact had not given it a second thought until I came across this thread.

One recommendation, choose the color carefully, I have heard that yellow and clear tend to become really gross looking with use. I have blue and it doesn't look bad, green, and red also do well from what I was told.

-Z

Oh well, too bad for me, my new one is also clear, so in another many years, it too will look gross. Oh well, who knows if I'll even still be diving by then. :p

I want to thank everyone for not making me feel more foolish.

I have toyed with getting one, but on reflection I really have no problem with the standard mouthpieces. Why do you think you would need one?
I find that a lot of times my jaws are fatigued at a bit more than half way through a dive. I replaced the original mouthpiece with one that my LDS said was more comfortable, and it is more comfortable than the original, but it is still not great.

Back
Top Bottom