Moisture Munchers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

al248005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I used the moisture muncher (SL911) that came with my camera on my first dive. Since then, the capsule has lost its color and now is a clear color. Does this mean it needs recharged or do they turn pink when they need recharged? I have read some post that says they turn pink and others that say they don't. Also how long and at what temp do you have to have your oven on to get a recharge? I just put the other one with the camera in a plastic ziplock bag and it has since lost its color too. Is there anyway to keep them for longer. I have a vaccuum sealer with containers. If I were to put them in this and suck all the air out would they keep longer?

I've never heard of one turning clear. :confused: My experiences have always been blue when new, pink when consumed - and new ones turn pink shortly after opening even if not used. Really got tired of having them go bad so fast, especially without use.

I tried microwaving 4 I think, but my machine is a cheap one with one setting. 2 exploded, and the other 2 that turned blue ok turned back pink quickly. You might go better on a lower setting, and some bake them on a low heat. Even if you don't mind wasting the electricity with those two approaches...
Just turning blue is no guarantee that they are fully recharged as the color indicator changes early in the process; and

Keeping them blue after recharge or even new fails for me.​
I store all of mine in a pint ziplock of Damprid once opened, then recharge them in the same. Again, turning blue is no guarantee that they are fully recharged as the color indicator changes early, so on a trip I will split that into 2 bags marked old and new - leaving them in the new bag until used once, then in the old bag for longer recharging of several days. Towards the end of the trip, I'm guessing, but it works ok.

Damprid is very cheap, like $5 for 2 quart container at K-mart and available many other places. I keep the large container in a 2 gallon ziplock to keep it as dry as possible. Replace the product in the ziplocks whenever you think it may be slowing down or just want to be sure, as again - it's cheap: a full pint = the cost of one MM, and you don't need to carry that much.

I would trash it and get more munchers, they are cheap compared to a cam or fog in the housing just as you get the pose of a lifetime in frame. A 10 pack is around 10 bux, my dive shop has a few packs that are just past the expiration date on the bag for 3 bux, I can grab a bag for you if we figure out when we are diving! I looked at 1 of the out of date bags and all the caps are still the true blue, I picked one up for my cam.

I've recycled mine like DD said above with Damprid. No need to keep buying new ones.

I wouldn't mind so much if new ones stayed new until used, but they don't. Once you remove one, they all start turning. It's really good to get Damprid just to keep new ones new on a trip, but then - what's the point of replacing them?

My used Moisture Munchers also appear more clear than pink.

I also agree that about $1 per capsule is cheap as far as dive expenses go, but if you can recycle a few times, why not?

I have been unsuccessful at stuffing one in the oven- had it on the lowest setting, got it to turn super blue, but the plastic warped just enough so it doesn't fit in the camera anymore. It's a dry box Moisture Muncher now :)

I use Damprid in the same sort of way that DandyDon does- it takes a while to recharge, but I have enough of them that I don't really mind.

DampRid for me. They turn bluer than when I got them new. I store them year round in the DR container (with the DR), container inside a ziplock bag. I have about 20 of them at this point but just keep re-using them.

Damp Rid for me also. I store mine in Zip Lock bags. Actually I put them in a Zip Lock with a small amount of Damp Rid and then put that in a second Zip Lock. And I check everything before a dive trip. The color isn't an exact science. I have some that turned clear, others that turned pink. If they are no long blue, time for a recharge in the Damp Rid. And as Dandy Don says, they change color pretty fast once opened.

You can start them in the oven at about 250F or so for 30 minutes, take them higher 10 or 15 degrees at a time until you get results. There are a couple of limitations to the oven approach though - some ovens will swing 50 degrees or more under thermostatic control, and the casing of the MM permanently deforms at lower temperature than the ideal regeneration temps for a couple of the common dessicant agents (high 300s F, if I recall). So it's tricky and you're probably not getting complete dehydration in a short time. I did see good blue color return after 30-60 minutes at around 275F (but damprid turns them deeper blue).

The damprid works fine and is low maintenance. I keep a dozen MMs in an airtight 8 oz bottle of damprid, and am still on the first damprid fill three years later. Two MMs last all day in the camera case in humid Hawaii, but that will vary a lot with use and conditions. I find quite a bit of color returns after just a couple days in the bottle so the dozen serve well even for long trips.

The color is just an indicator blended in with the drying agent, so don't worry too much about the exact color - it's like a gas gauge, still useful even if you don't know what F and E mean down to the drop for any given tank.

I tried the vacuum canister at first, after oven drying the MMs, and that works, but what a pain. An airtight jar of damprid is easier. Regular ziplocks probably aren't moisture-tight enough. You could find better baggies, but a small container with a lid (put saran wrap under the lid if you want extra insurance that it's sealing) is easy to find and use.

Last thought, damprid is probably corrosive, so don't get damprid dust inside your camera case (or on your skin much). I wipe the capsules off before use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom