Modify to deliver continious flow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dennisgrimm

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is off topic, but figured it would be the best place to get information.

Among various other equipment, I own 2 apex ATX 50's, an AT20 octo, and a couple of AL80 tanks. Is there any was to temporarily setup or modify these regs to deliver a continious flow on surface?

Why? Because my dog was run over by a car and requires oxygen therapy to help heal bruised lungs and I live in the middle of nowhere. I was hoping to rig together an oxygen tent out of his dog box, some moisure barrier plastic to seal the vents, and my dive tanks filled with pure O2.

Maybe a dumb idea, but he is just a pup and deserves a chance and there is not much else I can do to help him. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I know it is not directly dive related... but he does love the water.

Can you get someone to fill your tanks with pure O2?
It's a good reason to rig something up, but I am not so sure it's such a great idea, safety wise. Oxygen can be *very* dangerous, and using it with equipment that is not meant for it is not at all recommended. Can you convince your veterinarian to write you an Rx for some O2 and a regulator that is made for that sorta thing?

SueMermaid:
Can you get someone to fill your tanks with pure O2?
It's a good reason to rig something up, but I am not so sure it's such a great idea, safety wise. Oxygen can be *very* dangerous, and using it with equipment that is not meant for it is not at all recommended. Can you convince your veterinarian to write you an Rx for some O2 and a regulator that is made for that sorta thing?

You would be better off buying a T cylinder of welding oxygen, and use a welding regulator to regulate the flow. Much cheaper way to go. I pay about $30 for 350 cuft.
Divers have been using tech grade O2 for years, your dog will do just fine with it.

wedivebc:
You would be better off buying a T cylinder of welding oxygen, and use a welding regulator to regulate the flow. Much cheaper way to go. I pay about $30 for 350 cuft.
Divers have been using tech grade O2 for years, your dog will do just fine with it.

Good idea. I hadn't considered using welding gear. Medical or scientific equipment is tough to find, but welding supplies are abundant. Thanks for the idea.

Nice looking dog BTW, I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Definately try the welding gas route and good luck.

I would stay right away from weldnig gear. I have no idea what kind of shop uses welding grade oxygen but I know that I wouldn't touch it. Medical grade is much better for your dog and yes you can fill up your diving cylinder with oxygen as long as you have it o2 cleaned. The same goes for your regs. Have them cleaned for 100% service and you will be good to go. You will only be able to get oxygen to 2000 psi as that is the fill pressure for the tanks but better than nothing. I would buy an oxygen sensor flow regulator and just attach a non rebreather mask. There are better ways to go though than getting all your gear cleaned and using a scuba reg.

A respritory Dr. friend of mine has stated that welding O2 is cleaner than medical O2.
If you have other first hand knowledge please let us know.

Industrial grade oxygen is at least 99.5% pure (most companies it is 99.9%), aviator grade is at least 99.9%, as is medical grade. The impurities are usually nitrogen and/or CO2. Medical grade O2 is FDA regulated, aviator/industrial are not regulated (you would not need a prescription). If you breath nitrox, I would not be surprised if you're getting aviation grade from your shop.

Where we get O2 for nitrox mixing, the aviation grade has slightly less water than the medical grade.

Many oxygen generators used at hospitals (such as OGSI) only guarantee 95%.

Definately. Or get a medical reg and a medical tank - both welding and medical regs are set up for constant flow already, and are easily and precisely adjustable, which converted scuba gear won't be.

Only advantage to medical is it is usually already calibrated for flow, where with a welding reg it will be necessary to either be very wasteful or find or improvise a flowmeter to set the flow. On the other hand welding O2 (which I agree is OK to use) will be much cheaper and easier to buy, and you can lease the tank rather than buying it.

Probably your cheapest and best alternative would be a used (get it cheap on ebay, or check local med O2 dealer) adjustable flow regulator with a CGA 540 (nut-type) connector which can fit a large welding tank, and lease/rent a fairly large (160 to 350 cf) tank of welding O2 to use with it (don't tell the gas supplier what you will be doing with it, just say its for welding!).

One thing to remember, though, is that if you put a living creature in an O2 tent, or put a mask on them, and then do not provide sufficient flow (or the tank runs out while you are not paying attention), they will die! This is not something to approach casually.

Also, O2 is a powerful accelerate for combustion - even at atmospheric pressure it can greatly increase the chance of a fire, so you have to be very careful around it. There have been cases where the bedding on the bed of a patient being given O2 because saturated, and combusted violently when he lit up a cigarette! So this is not something to approach casually!

wedivebc:

Back
Top Bottom