Modified equipment and insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What DivemasterDenis sounds, it seems to me like he wants to drill and tap a new LP port. That would be a very bad idea imo. It will 100% forfeit any warranty on the item and likely fail when you need it to work. But DAN will still insure you, unless they see it was your bush mechanic mod that killed you and then maybe not.

What DivemasterDenis sounds, it seems to me like he wants to drill and tap a new LP port. That would be a very bad idea imo. It will 100% forfeit any warranty on the item and likely fail when you need it to work. But DAN will still insure you, unless they see it was your bush mechanic mod that killed you and then maybe not.

If this is the case, it should be remembered that no insurance covers bringing you back from the dead.

Hi all,

yesterday I was talking to my LDS regarding some 1st stage modification (adding LP hose port adapter). He warned me that with this mod I could loose my insurance. And also if I am mixing 1st stage with 2nd stage of different brands.

What are your experience with loosing insurance?

If you're talking about installing one of these, I don't see where it would be a problem.

If you're talking about drilling another hole in your regulator body and adding another LP hose, you can save yourself some time and effort and simply throw out your regulator right now.

Doing this requires drilling and threading the correct hole, then machining the correct O-ring sealing surface, then chrome plating the new hole. Unless you own a machine shop and know someone who does plating, the chances of you being able to do this are not good.

I have no idea what DAN's position on home-modified equipment is, however you should have the skills to handle a regulator failure underwater without it being a major problem, so I'm not sure why you're worried about DAN.

flots.

I have installed this http://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/hoses_rubber.shtml. scroll to the lp and hp hose port adapters. I have a mares mr 22 which has 1/2" port and I used it to install 5' hose. Lds pointed out that mares mr 22 has a DFC port and an air flow could be obstructed by this port adapter. So the 1st stage is not delivering air as it should. Since now I didn't notice any change in air delivery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Looking at the second stage to figure out what model it is to order parts?? Are you F'ing kidding me?? You need to learn a thing or two about regulator service.

Anytime you want to come to my shop and school me... lmao, feel free to stop by. Better bring more then your attitude. That remark was in regards to the many techs through out the world who really don't have clue on how to properly service equipment (laziness). It by no means had anything to do with my methods. It was merely some mild humor. :wink:

You are fine. The DFC port is more marketing than useful. While it MAY reduce the full flow that the port is capable of, no human is capable of inhaling that much air so it does not matter if the flow of the port is slightly restricted.

Perhaps CCR divers can shed some light on this question. Never met any of them NOT using un-modified unit.

Anytime you want to come to my shop and school me... lmao, feel free to stop by. Better bring more then your attitude. That remark was in regards to the many techs through out the world who really don't have clue on how to properly service equipment (laziness). It by no means had anything to do with my methods. It was merely some mild humor. :wink:

Then they're not regulator tecs, They are Idiots who have absolutely no business touching Life support equipment. Suggesting that a regulator tec would be confused by a regulator with dissimilar first and second stages suggests a very elementary view of the profession. Humor not withstanding, what you said was that it would confuse the hell out of the tec working on it since he would be looking at the second stage to come up with the brand to order parts. Maybe things like that are common at your shop but I have a little higher expectation of the service tecs who work in my store.
If I am a diver looking to have my life support system serviced and the tech is confused by a mixed brand regulator, I think I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

Then they're not regulator tecs, They are Idiots who have absolutely no business touching Life support equipment.

It's only life support when used by a poorly trained diver.

Anything can stop functioning at any time. Divers need to be able to handle this with minimal drama and risk.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom