Modified Dacor Falcon BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Disclaimer: The modifications I made were all my own, and I take full responsibility for the consequences for modifying my own BCD. I accept that I am liable for any injuries resulting of the failure of the BCD as a result of said modifications. Understand that I am in no way encouraging you to make any modifications to your BCD, nor am I accepting liability for any modifications that you may make to your BCD.

I purchased the Dacor Falcon after my post here requesting advice. Here's that post: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=106668

After several dives, I started wishing I had taken VinceDS' advice and waited a few weeks/months until I could afford a BP/W combo, but I was anxious to dive and the rest is history. It's not that this is a bad BCD, it's just that I really prefer a low profile, low dangly, low drag BCD. On the contrary, this might be a truly forward looking and interesting BCD (as are some of the other Dacor BC's). Read on...

Here's a pic of the original Falcon:
DAC567LG.jpg

The lower section consists of the lower portion of the shoulder straps (after the quick-disconnect clips), and the integrated weight system. Notice the plastic backplate with unused slots. There are lots of danglies and plastic D-rings that were useful for a while when I was figuring out how I wanted things trimmed out, but that became unruly once I began to simplify things.

My modification:
I completely removed the lower section and replaced it with 2" webbing that connected to the quick-release clips on the shoulder straps, threaded through the lower slots, and added a left hip D-ring, SS buckle, and 1" crotch strap (for which there is also a slot). Of course, I have to use a weight belt (which I prefer) and I've added a couple of weight pouches to either side of the tank band. There's a slot for a second tank band, if needed.

Results:
The modification yeilds a much more streamlined and (IMO) stable BCD. The only thing that separates this from a BP/W design is that the bladder is attached to the upper shouder straps. I've really enjoyed the few dives I've done with it, and find trim is easier to manage than with the weight integrated system.

Notes:

• The backplate has a STA which led me to hope that a standard wing could be attached. Alas, the bolts are not the standard 11", and so a modified wing would be necessary to attach to this plate (I threaded a harness using one piece of webbing as a proof of concept, and found it comfortable).

• I contacted Phil Mintz of Mares/Dacor (also Scubaboard member) to determine if a BP/W design was planned by the designers of this BCD. He stated he was travelling to corporate and would ask the designers.

• My Falcon (not sure if this applies to others) has a +/- 2lb buoyancy offset on the right hand side due to what I believe is a reduced inflation on the left side of the bladder where the inflation hose attaches. A 2lb weight (and now a canister light :wink:) trims it right out!

Question:
Is there a non-standard wing that could fit the non-standard spacing of the bolts on this backplate (8 1/4")?

Conclusion:
While the Falcon seems to be discontinued, other models based around this backplate (Dacor Talon, RAV, Condor) have the potential to be great warm water travel BC's.

For my SoCal dives I will more than likely move to a SS BP/W configuration, but until then, I am really enjoying this modification.

Thanks for listening :wink: ,

Russell

OK...here's a (poor) picture of how my modification looks. The couple of danglies on either side of the bladder are elastic wing bondage thingies. I've clipped them to the wing, so they're no longer hanging about. I've shortened the bottom dump pull string. The chest strap is nice to have on this modification beacuse without it, the shoulder straps sometimes feel as if they'll pull off (although they won't). I added a D-Ring on the left side just below the quick-disconnect buckle because the shoulder D-Ring gets in the way of the inflator hose. You can see my backup light attached there and held down with bicycle tubing.

falcon.JPG

My cross-link on the OP was not appreciated, I suppose...and I must also apologize for the size of the follow-up photo.

Here again is the Falcon as I got it:
dacor_falcon.jpg

Wow Russell, that is the epitomy of a DIYourselfer!

Well done my man, well done! Folks, I have had the pleasure of diving with this guy as my team mate, and his trim is spot on with this now technical rig.

Tevis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom