Modern First Stage for my conshelfs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently acquired a new Legend for my wife but of course, I needed to take it diving first for her safety :wink:

I have to admit, I was envious and thought “maybe this new stuff isn’t that bad” until I took it in the water. It breathed fine but not noticeably better than my old XIVs and it wasn’t as comfortable and gave me a bad case of dry mouth.

Now I am not so envious but I would like a DIN first stage and perhaps something with better hose routing if I ever go with doubles. So thoughts on upgrading the first stage, maybe even keeping it in the same family. I do have a setup on an SEA4 that is DIN but I am not sure if the hose routing there would be ideal on doubles.

Thanks

the sea4 is workable, the layout is similar to the ds4. a 5 port turret first stage (DST or clones or SP style) gives better routing if you don't mind the enviro seals pointing out in the case of the DST. i would just dive the sea4 until a deal you can't pass up comes around.

any first stage will work just fine, just have the IP set to whatever the spec of the conshelf is. For doubles, I prefer 5 port turrets, can be Deep 6, Dive Rite, Hog, Atomic, whatever you choose, won't really matter.

Assuming that by "modern" you mean anything after 1970 you might consider the pre-95 Oceanic balanced piston first stage. It's a Scubapro MK5 clone but DIN adaptors are available. The only down side is only four LP ports on the turret.

IMG_0921.JPG

Assuming that by "modern" you mean anything after 1970 you might consider the pre-95 Oceanic balanced piston first stage. It's a Scubapro MK5 clone but DIN adaptors are available. The only down side is only four LP ports on the turret.

View attachment 217211

A bit off topic but has anyone tried using the din adapter on a MK-5 or a Scubapro turret on an Oceanic?

Back to the topic. The best deal I see at the moment for a first stage is a HOG BP-2 from Diver's Supply. For $100 you get a new first stage with a Din fitting and a turret with a downward port for hose routing. Other dealers may give you the same deal if you do not like Diver's Supply.

You could try on eBay for a MK-10 but once you add the cost to service it and get a din adapter you are looking at the same price if not more. However the SP might be easier to maintain as there are aftermarket kits available. I am not sure about the kits for the BP-2. I would inquire before ordering.

Don't have nothing against Diver's Supply or Hog. Did they something politically incorrect recently?
:)
What do you mean by "downward port"? Is that where you can put a hose out of the top of the turret?

some people don't like them, others do, personal preference.

Downward port is the 5th port at the bottom of the regulator. Super convenient for doubles hose routing. Secondary comes out of the bottom on the left post, and inflator comes out of the bottom on the right.

I also upgraded my first stage and have a new Scubapro MK25 evo suppying the air to my older Scubapro 156 & 109. I love this combination of old and new. Breathes awesome!!
I also just bought a new s600 and Mk17 that i haven't dived with yet but i doubt this set will breath easier, probably just much dryer. The s600 feels nice in the mouth though.

Don't have nothing against Diver's Supply or Hog. Did they something politically incorrect recently? :)

I just want to clarify, I have nothing against Diver's Supply. I used them in the past and had good experiences. I just wanted to point out that other companies do price match so if you like Edd at Cave Adventurers or Mike at DRIS or some other vendor they will usually meet the price.

Back
Top Bottom