Moderation: Too much or too little?

What is your GENERAL feeling about SB moderation?

• I'd like to see more moderation

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I'd like to see less moderation

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I think the current level of moderation is fine.

Votes: 74 66.1%
  • I have another opinion - state below

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even the urban dictionary definition is benign ????

What do you think it means ???
I know what the dictionary definition is. And I know what the dictionary definition of eating popcorn is. But the intended meaning is what's in discussion here. I've perceived the use of the shenanigans smiley to be a statement that another's opinion, statement, or post is unworthy, stupid, annoying, etc. OTOH I've perceived the use of the popcorn smiley to mean "I'm keeping an eye on this one".

As Bob DBF suggests, these actions certainly are well within the power of admin to do, but users do still have the right to disagree with the methods, or the reasoning behind them. No one's life will be seriously impacted by removing these apps, but it does seem to show a certain deep seated lack of respect for the intelligence of the majority of the users of the board who are impacted threw no actions of their own.

Actually, the flies are being bothered by the offending mods! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Seems to me that you are spending as much effort in here swatting at imaginary flies as everyone else is trying to keep you from smashing all the furnishings.
119932d1333124790-moderation-too-much-too-little-popcorn.gif

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Gotta run.
As much fun as this may be, my employer seems to think he can make better use of my time in the shop. :shakehead:

Play nice, and don't burn the place down. :cheers:

I thought about responding to the "thanks" button fiasco of 2008 (I think) comparison, because I don't think that's a fair comparison. I was very close to replying a few times, and thought... no... but then... I thought it needs to be rebutted. I don't think it's an apt comparison.

The removal of the Thanks button was a decision made unilaterally (by one person who shall not be named), and as a direct response to about 5 users... That action was quickly reversed.

The removal of the thanks button had an effect to a lot of things on the site, and the detriment more than outweighed the positive, which was pretty much, there was no upside at all, except that it really stuck it to the people who were targeted by it. That is not the way that SB intends to operate, and this is not what happened here. The removal of the smiles, while unpopular with some, has not really had a detriment on the site. People can still post smiles... even the ones that were removed. (As we've seen in this thread MANY times)

The removal of the smiles does not imply that the admins have a suspicion that users are not intelligent, or that there is no respect for users. The removal of the smiles was simply done for the reasons previously stated over and over. This is not some deep seeded plot with Dr. Evil at the helm.. This is merely an attempt to make some behavior more difficult.

If people are going to post in the "Green Zones" with no content, and merely a smiley that implies, "Bring on the show" - those posts will be deleted, as they are off topic. It's that simple. :)

...//...If people are going to post in the "Green Zones" with no content, and merely a smiley that implies, "Bring on the show" - those posts will be deleted, as they are off topic. It's that simple. :)

I think that it would help those who are new to SB to have the "Green Zones" better identified... (-but I've said that before)

If people are going to post in the "Green Zones" with no content, and merely a smiley that implies, "Bring on the show" - those posts will be deleted, as they are off topic. It's that simple. :)

Which is how I think the entire issue should have been handled from the beginning.

You don't even know who voted for or against this action. Do you?

Exactly. These sentiments are not permitted in certain forums. While it's clear that you want people to be able to fight. The fact is, that SB doesn't allow bickering (or trolls) in some areas.

Right. Who cares? If you don't care then why do you continue to post about this?

You don't want a kinder gentler SB. You obviously want something else?

While I don't disagree with your comment about the social forums, there is no way to enable certain smiles in certain areas. The fact is (as has been stated ad nauseum) none of these smiles are prohibited, just not available from the list of preferred smiles.

---

FWIW (and I'm sure this will blow your mind) - I didn't vote for or against the smile removal. Personally, I don't care. But the fact is... SB and the advisors make decisions as a group.

Personally I DON'T care who voted for what, I care about WHY things were voted against! You guys act sometimes like this is a corporation, I've never been involved with a board that over-moderates like this! I've been staying away because of it lately, but when a few people let me know how things were getting, I got curious, and it was worse than I expected! I know a good handful of people that purposely stay away because of the way it's moderated, and others that started and/or frequent other boards because of it. There are a LOT of people that I used to see posting informative stuff that walked away.

...so from what you are telling me as far as the smiley, it's not permitted to sit back and watch what's going to come next in certain forums? please elaborate! Sure I agree that the third definition is a tad "troll-ie" but that's not the fault of the smiley, it's the fault of the user, and depends upon the context of the post that it's commenting upon.

It doesn't matter if I want a kinder gentler SB, I prefer for people to get along, but it's reality vs. social decorum. Someone calling someone out and having the clout to back it up isn't a bad thing, You as a "tech diver" (not a moderator or representative of SB) telling me something, or calling me out for something stupid I post in a forum that could get someone hurt SHOULD happen, in some cases it might teach someone something, life isn't all cherries and butterflies (or a basic PADI course) Sometimes someone needs knocked down a peg, I'm not talking arbitrary troll/dogpile/mean behavior, I'm talking pure FACT!! Out and out being an ass to someone is different.

My comment on the social forums isn't about the smileys, it's about the moderation that goes on there. As I've said before in this thread, why bother as long as it doesn't contain the seven dirty words you can't say on television, illegal activity or nudity...The smileys, as I said are just a control freak issue as far as I'm concerned!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom