MOD marking question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
Since you are asking this in the DIR forum, you are looking for the DIR answer, correct?

What these folks are getting at is:
- It's not DIR to dive air to 100'... Air is for tires and really, really shallow dives :wink:

- "Best mix" for a 100' dive is your choice of EAN32 or Triox 30/30 The MOD and tables are essentially the same for both (If ya need to get nitpicky about the difference, your dive is too aggressive and you should plan accordingly).

- The only tank markings on back gas are on the analysis sticker. You mark the actual MOD of the gas in the tank.

Yes, I am looking for the DIR answer. Sorry about the 100ft air dive, I was just using that as an easy example.

do it easy:
When you write analysis sticker, I'm assuming you mean the little 1 inch tape, not 3 inch letters. Is the analysis sticker just for identifying the contents on the boat/shore, i.e., it itsn't used underwater?

Why are you triing to read the back of your tank at 100 feet ?
and if your reading your buddies tank? shouldn't you have ask them on the boat before the dive?

do it easy:
When you write analysis sticker, I'm assuming you mean the little 1 inch tape, not 3 inch letters. Is the analysis sticker just for identifying the contents on the boat/shore, i.e., it itsn't used underwater?

Correct. There's really no need to identify the gas underwater. It's the one on your back that was planned with the maximum depth of the dive in mind, thus it is 'safe' at any point within the dive.

Deco bottles are another matter entirely, and they need clear MOD markings in 3 inch letters.

The reason that backgas isn't marked in 3" letters is because it can change based on the dive. If you're diving Trimix one week and 32% the next, it would really suck to either have different tanks or peel off your stickers just for that one dive.

The MOD analysis tape is on the back shoulder of the tank so that your dive buddy can see it, but as part of the dive planning, you and your buddies should all know each others mix (and be diving the same mix anyway.)

Thanks for the info, but I think that I should back up a bit. When I dive, I do discuss dive planning and I also know what mix/pressure I have in my tanks and what my buddy has, as well.

I asked my question indirectly. I think I should have asked the question, "what stickers do you have on your tanks when you dive?" I also analyze my mixes before I dive, so the little analysis sticker isn't necessary underwater, although it is helpful after the dive when planning the next dive/fill. What is the DIR procedure for leaving it or removing it?

Boogie711:
The MOD analysis tape is on the back shoulder of the tank so that your dive buddy can see it, but as part of the dive planning, you and your buddies should all know each others mix (and be diving the same mix anyway.)
Uh... Boogie... If you have planned your dive and are diving your plan, why would your buddy have to see your MOD sticker??

The second part of your sentence is right on!

Your local Tech1 instructor emphasized that the mix/analysis tape goes on the front of the tank (if doubles, goes under the right post) right under where the regulator screws in so it's right there in view when you set up your gear.

do it easy:
Thanks for the info, but I think that I should back up a bit. When I dive, I do discuss dive planning and I also know what mix/pressure I have in my tanks and what my buddy has, as well.

I asked my question indirectly. I think I should have asked the question, "what stickers do you have on your tanks when you dive?" I also analyze my mixes before I dive, so the little analysis sticker isn't necessary underwater, although it is helpful after the dive when planning the next dive/fill. What is the DIR procedure for leaving it or removing it?

Personally I do not remove the analysis sticker until I refill the tanks. After they have been used, I cross out the fill pressure and replace that number with the current pressure (makes remixing a lot easier). I use white or yellow duct tape for backgas analysis stickers, they contain the following information (in this format- picture it on a peice of tape):

Mix fill date
pressure initials of who mixed/analyzed it (me, 99% of the time)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom