mobile broadband advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fcg_vi

Reaction score
I'm going to be diving the Visayas and Mindano for a couple of months and I'm looking for advice on getting online. Anyone have experience with the WeRoam/Smart/Globe "broadband" mobile access services?

I also saw WeRoam being used during a demo. It's quite fast and reliable.
The demo was done in Makati. I'm not sure if it would perform as fast if you'll
be using it in Visayas.

Thanks for the help. I've been searching but I haven't been able to locate more info on WeRoam... Is this available where there's a SMART signal throughout the islands? Where do I sign up, can I just go to the mall in Cebu? Does it work with a prepay plan? Do I need a special modem or can I tether my nokia phone to my laptop?

PLDT WeROAM

fcg_vi:
Thanks for the help. I've been searching but I haven't been able to locate more info on WeRoam... Is this available where there's a SMART signal throughout the islands? Where do I sign up, can I just go to the mall in Cebu? Does it work with a prepay plan? Do I need a special modem or can I tether my nokia phone to my laptop?

fcg_vi:
on a laptop you'll need a special PCMCIA card w/c can accept the special SMART SIM that you'll be issued

i don't know if you can use your nokia phone but if you can you'll probably have to use the WeRoam sim and take out your regular sim

hope it helps

Jag

I have both Weroam and Globe Visibility. Both are good. My WeRoam uses the AirCard which is faster while the Globe uses GPRS because Solana is in an area where Globe cannot use an Air Card but I am sure Globe would have the same service in the Visayas.

The We roam office is in Boni Avenue in Mandaluyong. I had to bring my PC there while Globe will give you instructions how to use over the phone. Call Audrey at 09175888030.

which could be functional when you go to say HK, USA, Canada, China, Mongolia ? these are the countries i may hop to in the next two years.

solanabezo:
I have both Weroam and Globe Visibility. Both are good. My WeRoam uses the AirCard which is faster while the Globe uses GPRS because Solana is in an area where Globe cannot use an Air Card but I am sure Globe would have the same service in the Visayas.

The We roam office is in Boni Avenue in Mandaluyong. I had to bring my PC there while Globe will give you instructions how to use over the phone. Call Audrey at 09175888030.

paolov:
which could be functional when you go to say HK, USA, Canada, China, Mongolia ? these are the countries i may hop to in the next two years.

As for the US, if they have a roaming agreement here and they use GPRS/EDGE, you can probably use that system over here. I've heard that EDGE system is pretty fast (though not as fast as my cable modem). But the best one here, I think, is by Verizon which unfortunately is not gsm compatible (GPRS/EDGE).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom