Mobby's Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coldfinger,
I never dove the Twin Shell Pro, but buddied a diver who did and tried it on.
So here some thoughts of mine:
Coldfinger:
1) Under 'normal' use, does water enter between the two layers? If so:

a) Does the duel shell system create a lot of drag in the water? It would seem that if water enters between the layers the effect would be to create a sail.

b) Isn't cleaning and drying the suit a major pain in the rear? It would seem you'd have to separately clean and dry the two suit layers each time you used it. (now I just re-read Seabat's message that suggests you do have to clean both separately. It that based for everyday use or only when there is a leak into the middle space?)
1. yes
b. it's a bulky suit as any thick trilam would be. I didn't notice a 'sail effect'.
c. depends on what you're cleaning. Sand after a beach dive probably is quite some extra work. I would clean them seperately, the guy I dove with usually just let it soak in lukewarm water.

Coldfinger:
2) With two shells, is the overall weight of the suit much heavier than other drysuits?
I doubt that. The suit doesn't have much extra material safe for a bunch of velcro straps. But the outer shell is a heavy, sturdy material. The inner is scarily light weight. If you end up NOT happy with the outer shell you can get one made from 420 denier material. So you can actuall switch outer shells, use the tough stuff for wrecks, the light stuff for reefs.
Coldfinger:
3) My body seems to fit squarely in the center of the size M suit, according to Mobby's sizechart. Would I nonetheless likely benefit from a custom-sizing in another suit that allows customization?
Try it on, if it fits it fits. If possible jump in a pool and see how you like it.

Coldfinger:
If cost were not the primary concern (I wish!), would I be better off going with one of the others?
My first choice among Mobby's would be the TopShell. Unfortunately not available in the US (officially/yet), it has front entry, a sturdy trilam top and crash neoprene bottom. Super easy entry and space on top, streamlined on the bottom, all in sturdy materials.
My second choice would be the ArmorShell Pro, a more sturdy version of the one I have.

Pricewise either one of those is in CLX450 - FLX50/50 neighborhood (stock sized), and if either one fit me as well I'd go with them because of a longer warranty and local manufacture.

Thanks very much for your responses folks! You were very helpful.

I think I may look for a single layer trilam, as I do lots of beach diving and would really prefer to not have to do the extra cleaning each time to get rid of the sand and grime on two layers.

Thanks again!

try the new Armour shell Pro it has the same inside and outside material as the two layer suit but they are made as one piece. i like it alot it funtions well drys nice and with this material is much more rugged that the Armour Shell. It is also self donning.

CALI68:
I never knew anything about these suits...real nice! I wish I saw them about a month ago. I've been looking at 'em all day...If they are as nice as they sound they must be great! I'm a little confused about the inner linning thing though. How does the whole undergarment thing work with that inner suit? How much would you have to wear in say 45-55 degree water?

Here are two points that I like about them if anyone can expand on these I would appreciate it.

First they look light! My BARE XCD2 although a very well made suit, is a tank and weighs a ton how does the Mobby compare in that respect.

Second, can they really be that easy to self don? One minute or less?

Dang, there might just be a brand new BARE XCD2 for sale soon. :)

I have been researching these suits for the last 3 months.
#1- They are light. I tried on the Armor Shell Pro. Very comfortable. Plenty of movement. DUI dealer said possible seam problems. Mobby dealer said no problems in his last 23 years.
#2- It's like getting into coveralls. I'll be surprized if it takes the entire minute. Out of the eleven suits I have donned recently, the Mobby is by far the easiest and is a true self-doning. Diagonal zippers say self donning but some one always has to help.

Back
Top Bottom