Mobby's Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgarysmith:
Anyone have any experience with Mobby's drysuits. Seen them in magazines. If so, where can you but on-line?
Thanks

I have seen a couple for sale on eBay, but am not aware of an on-line retailer. What happens when you do a search on Google or Froogle? :wink:

I have a Mobby's "shell" dry suit and I love it but I only have about 10 dives on it. I purchased it used but in excellent condition from my LDS. I looked around and lloydbaileysscuba.com has a link to Mobby's. Hope this helps.
Going to be wearing mine in about 2 hours in the quarry.
Dive safe. Butch :scubadive

My wife and I have Twin Shell Pro’s. We have made about 90 or so dives with them and expect to replace them toward the end of this year.

The outer shell on my suit seems to shrink between weekly dives (not width wise, length wise). When dry its very restrictive. When wet, its fine. However when wet the ankles drag and collect a lot of sand and dirt on beach dives.

The outer shell is attached to the inner shell by Velcro above and below the back zipper. When rinsing the suit you have to separate the Velcro to get water between the two when using a hose. In general, I don’t care too much for having to make sure both shells are thoroughly rinsed. Seems like twice the work.

The soles of the boots seem kind of thin. You definitely can feel anything on the beach walking to and from the water. I have put in some Dr. Shoal’s inner soles and this has helped. I also had to send out both suits for boot replacement due to cracks forming at the top of the ankles. Seems this was a factory defect. Mobby’s replaced them for free but it was a 3 week process since they had to be sent to Mobby’s.

My wife has replaced her wrist seals twice. Once because the neoprene tore, the other to try and stop a minor leak. Turns out the leak was due to her wrist and not any defect in the seal.

The outer shell neck zipper is tough to close when dry due to the shrinkage.

On the good side. There is no visible wear on the outer shell. It is as tough as they advertise and I like the added protection for the inner shell. The outer shell also has two pockets which I use to hold my marker tube and additional camera lenses. The seams of the inner shell have not caused any problems and still show not sign of deterioration.

We have had no problems with leaks at the zippers or the valves. No problems with valves being stuck either.

There is an adjustable suspender system inside the suit and they also show no sign of wear. There is an adjustable waist belt on the outer shell also.

The main reason we are going to replace them is the dry fit on mine, we want to go to a front entry system, and to get a single shell type of suit.

My sister and brother-in-law have these and swear by them. They have older suits ('bout 4 years), compressed neoprene. They have about 400 dives on them each, mostly in northern europe.

The suits show a bit of wear, but mostly look good. The built in boots are fine still, and shin guards are mostly intact. The suspenders are fine, but one needed to be repaired once. They use dry gloves and have replaced the gloves and the neck seal several times.

My brother-in-law had a DUI before, and needed to replace the zipper, the Mobby was cheaper (for him).

Bought it about three years ago, when mobby's changed the color pattern. That allowed the LDS to discount the suit, they called me and I picked it up for $900 (instead of $1400).

Been diving it ever since, to the point where I take a 2 month break during summer when it's too warm (topside) to dive it. Dove my 7mm twice since the purchase and did not enjoy it.

The ArmorShell has a front zipper for self entry and couldn't be easier to don and doff. Suspenders are standard and I never had any problems with them.

The trilam dries fast, when the sun's out usually before I open it between dives. Seams and material have been holding up well, I managed to get a couple of tiny punctures from an urchin on my left shin above the boot (the suit, not I). That was very easy to fix as the inside of the suit is both white and smooth, the tiny black holes stood out. Very convenient.

The seals on wrists and neck are extremely flexible, I still use the original ones and so far they've always been dry. Same goes for the zipper. The latter has a flap to protect it, the wrist seals are covered by fabric as is some of the neck seal. There's a zipper in the collar to ease tucking in a bibbed hood.

I either jump under the shower or hose the suit down when after using it, talcum powder the latex seals and make sure the zipper is clean. I wax it as needed.

Due to the torso overlap I'm able to wear a L rather than XL which cuts down on space inside the suit. Balances beautifully, and I need only 4lbs. more lead than in a 7mm w/ 5mm hooded west.

All in all I rate it an excellent suit, well worth the regular price.
In Germany mobby's suits have placed high or outright won reader's choices for years.

I never knew anything about these suits...real nice! I wish I saw them about a month ago. I've been looking at 'em all day...If they are as nice as they sound they must be great! I'm a little confused about the inner linning thing though. How does the whole undergarment thing work with that inner suit? How much would you have to wear in say 45-55 degree water?

Here are two points that I like about them if anyone can expand on these I would appreciate it.

First they look light! My BARE XCD2 although a very well made suit, is a tank and weighs a ton how does the Mobby compare in that respect.

Second, can they really be that easy to self don? One minute or less?

Dang, there might just be a brand new BARE XCD2 for sale soon. :)

I'm hoping to buy my first drysuit in the next couple weeks, and am interested in the Mobby's Twin Shell Pro (can get a new one on sale for around $800 this weekend). The other options for me are likely to be a custom fit Diving Concepts Ultra Flex Pro, the Bare Trilam ATR HD, or a DUI trilam.

I'd like to discover that the Mobby's suit is just too great a deal to pass up, but have a few concerns.

Could anyone help me with a couple of questions regarding the suits?

1) Under 'normal' use, does water enter between the two layers? If so:

a) Does the duel shell system create a lot of drag in the water? It would seem that if water enters between the layers the effect would be to create a sail.

b) Isn't cleaning and drying the suit a major pain in the rear? It would seem you'd have to separately clean and dry the two suit layers each time you used it. (now I just re-read Seabat's message that suggests you do have to clean both separately. It that based for everyday use or only when there is a leak into the middle space?)

2) With two shells, is the overall weight of the suit much heavier than other drysuits?

3) My body seems to fit squarely in the center of the size M suit, according to Mobby's sizechart. Would I nonetheless likely benefit from a custom-sizing in another suit that allows customization?

Overall, are the Diving Concepts, Bare or DUI trilams significantly better performing (streamlined / warm and dry / flexible and comfortable / tough / easy to don) and easier to clean/maintain than the Mobby Twin Shell Pro?

If cost were not the primary concern (I wish!), would I be better off going with one of the others?

Sorry for all the questions at once. I've been reading as much as I can find on the Board regarding these suits and thought this may be the place to gather all the info I've found.

Thank you very much for any help or thoughts!

Coldfinger,

Water does enter between the two shells. A "sail" effect is not a problem as my BC keeps the upper torso "compressed" and the waist belt and ankle straps (comes with the suit) eliminate the effect in the lower torso. I cannot think of any difference in the drag between the Mobby's suit and the Body Glove wet suit I used in Hawaii.

I only separate the velcro on the back to allow for water to rinse the inside of the outer shell and the outside of the inner shell. (hope that is not too confusing of a description) My rinse process is hang up the suit with a suit hanger, then hose down the outer shell, water down the neck of the outer shell, water down the back at the zipper, water down each arm, water down each pocket, repeat. About once every month or so, I seal up the wrists and neck and put the whole thing in a dunk tank with suit soap. I have washed the inside two or three times but only because it seems like the thing to do. I have not owned another suit, but I think it is reasonable to assume a single shell would not have the same rinse process.

Again, not having owned another suit, I can't say if it is heavier. I never gave the weight much thought until reading some of the other posts. I guess I am just use to the suit now so the weight is not a problem to me.

Someone else asked about insulation with the Mobby's. There is none. You definitely need a liner. I know this from first hand error. I did a dive with sweats only. Puget sound is cold :).

My first post seems to be the only negative one so far. Like I mentioned, the main reason I want a new suit is the shrinkage. I have not asked it anyone else has had this problem nor have I asked Mobby's about it.

In fairness I will say I have never been concerned about the performance of the suit during a dive and never had any problems underwater. It functions as advertised and WITH my liner has kept me warm in the Northwest waters.

As others have mentioned throughout the board for any equipment, see if you can do a demo dive with the different ones. I plan to do this when I start activly looking for a new suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom