mk25t mk25a

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

siralek88

Reaction score
what exactly is the point of having a titanium or aluminum mk25, it makes them lighter, but then u just have to add on that weight to your weight belt, and the price is insane

The titanium will definetely resist rust and salt water corrosion alot better than the brass. Don't know about the aluminum.

From what I heard, Titaniums regs aren't worth it, first of all, if you can manage to wreck the same reg made of different material(which I found a very hard thing to do, and if you can, you shouldn't own a reg), chances are, you won't take a very good care of the titanium reg either. Second, you have to realize that you are paying $1,200+ for something that cannot integrate nitrox over 30% (the most common recreational nitrox are 32% and 36%). Besides, the first stage sits on you tank, which is something A LOT heavier than your reg(it should be), so the weight really isn'tso much of an advantage.

(PS: Last time a guy actually tried to sell me a atomic titanium converter for $400, I had to say no because I couldn't give myself a VERY good reason to buy a converter for $400 while there's one sitting there that only costs around $30 and is equally effective.)

Some people like aluminum regs because of weight restrictions on airlines, especially in europe, one long haul operator only allows 20kg per person including hand luggage. A light setup can save money. Earlier scubapro aluminium regs, mk20, I think, hand problems with electrolysis between the reg and the hose connections. They now have a plastic insert on the mk25SFSA

Traveling light is the only advantage.

The SP Mk 25T is Nitrox approved but not for mixes over 40%. The Aluminum ultralight regs are a little on the fragile side and encounter problems with dissimilar metal corrosion. I'd skip them both.

The new MK 25 STA overcomes the above issues through a combination of Al and stainless construction and is only slightly heavier than the UL or titanium Mk 25 and makes a pretty decent travel reg.

The comment that titanium resists corrosion better than brass as is a little suspect. It's hard to argue with chrome plated brass given it's 40 plus years of successful service. The question of whether Titanium will hold up as well can't be answered definitively for another 35 years or so.

And I agree with the statement that if you abuse a chrome plated brass reg bad enough to trash it, you most likely won't fair any better with a titanium reg.

In my experience many of the divers with ultralights and titanium regs bought them in large part to either have a more expensive status symbol to show off or to have something a little out of the ordinary to again show off.

As far as the weight goes under the water, I agree that the tank is alot heavier but also too, everything is neutral under the water.

I've asked the same questions at several LDS in my area. All of them agree and ask why spend the extra money. This is from the people who stand to make the money off the sale and they are asking the same questions. The only consensus is for light weight travel. In fact I have watched them steer several people away unless the travel weight was a real concern. The corrosion resistance is a moot point if you take your reg in for its yearly service. Even the service manager at one dive shop said all you would be doing is making his job easier, but still pay the same for service.

Back
Top Bottom