MK25?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The set is going cheap enough, not interested in the 1st stage was just curious as if it was a MK25 I could sell it on and get the 250s for free.

When I can them for around $10 a piece I figure why not, all in. At the moment I'm getting the odd G250 and Conshelf 2nds for around $10 each. Nothing to lose really, well, except $10.

Just an fyi the mk20 is an excellent regulator. It can be converted to a mk25 if you wanted and unless you are diving extremely cold water I don't think you would ever know the difference. I have over a dozen mk25's, 20's and even a few 10's that I use as stage regs and I can't tell any difference in any of them. I personally don't see why more people who are concerned with price don't buy these regs. $100 or less for an excellent 1st and 2nd stage.

Unfortunately they end up being not that cheap, for me anyway.

Every G250 I've picked up has needed a service kit, new orifice and once adding the S-wing poppet upgrade the cost on parts alone is running close to $70 and that's assuming diapghram and exhaust valve are ok which out of the 9 I've bought only two have been ok. Fortunately I now have a source for OEM parts out of the EU which are much cheaper than eBay etc.

So, for me getting two G250 second stages up and running is costing around $150, granted, cheaper than buying new second stages, but not super cheap. But I guess if added another $30 for a 1st stage kit it's still only around $230 (inc price of 1st stage) for a good performing reg set, now its looking like good value.

Upside, after I've rebuilt them, to keep them running is only pennies.

My reason though was never to save money, it was about learning something and the self sufficiency gained.

When I can them for around $10 a piece I figure why not, all in. At the moment I'm getting the odd G250 and Conshelf 2nds for around $10 each. Nothing to lose really, well, except $10.

Closet space, drawer space, a happy marriage....

Back
Top Bottom