MK25 evo / A700 Ultrasonic cleaner safe parts? piston?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Quick question regarding what is and what is not safe to be put in an ultrasonic cleaner, for MK25 EVO / A700 components.

To be on the safe side I did not clean any plastic and spring parts in the UC.

I am using 1/3 (6%) vinegar & 2/3 water solution in my UC. It has worked for me so far, had to keep it in there bit longer. Probably will do 50/50 next time around and keep it shorter.

In particular, I am curious about the piston itself which has a white plastic component. Is it safe to put a MK25 evo piston in the UC?

Thank you in advance for any input on this subject.

Last edited:
Hello,

Quick question regarding what is and what is not safe to be put in the ultrasonic cleaner, for MK25 EVO / A700 components.

To be on the safe side I did not clean any plastic and spring parts in the UC.

In particular, I am curious about the piston itself which has white plastic component.

Thank you in advance for any input on this subject.

It really depends on what you are using in the cleaner itself. Acidic solutions will embrittle most plastics. Plastic or other wise "soft parts" will absorb the ultrasonic energy decreasing the effectiveness. Springs are usually fine as most are stainless but there's not much point putting those in unless you are doing a de-grease which you'd would want a simple-green type solvent anyways. I use the US cleaner with a 50/50 vinegar water solution for removing the verdigris since my regs are old and previously abused. Plastics get a warm soapy water bath. All get a warm water soak following.

snowdog61,

I am using 1/3 (6%) vinegar & 2/3 water solution in my UC, very light. I also edited my post to include this information.

I heard evo's "blue" spring should not be cleaned in UC.

Do you know if it's safe to put the MK25 piston (has white plastic base) in the UC?

Thanks,

I'll let Buhranmaster, Couv or one of the other reg gurus chime in on the 'blue' spring. I'm guessing it's probably a coating unless the part has been heated treated to get to a blue stage but that seems unlikely. AFA the piston, no, I would not put it in any acidic solution - even if it is only 6%. Soapy water and a soft bristle brush and you're done - should need much if any cleaning

snowdog61,

The "blue" is definitely a coating and was mentioned somewhere not to be cleaned in a UC.

I suspected the piston should not be put in a UC. Thanks for the confirmation!

snowdog61,

The "blue" is definitely a coating and was mentioned somewhere not to be cleaned in a UC.

I believe that blue coating is something similar to a teflon anti-stick if it's what I think it is.

You can place a piston in the UC. First, put it in a plastic container. A plastic 35mm film camera case works really well. Be sure to drill holes in the case so that it sinks. Putting it in the case helps to protect the end of the piston from getting damaged.

Thank you all for the input!

@halocline -
Yeah, piston was pretty clean and simple hand cleaning was enough.

@shurite7 -
35mm film camera case? What's that? Just kidding... ha ha

Great idea if I can find one! Just realized that I haven't touched a 35mm for two decades.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom