MK25 conversion from yoke to DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was just the parts. I did the conversion myself.

any decent LDS will do the conversion for you if you ask - having seen it done probably not a bad idea to get someone to do it out of your sight......

I've noticed that LP and DiveInn have the kit for ~ 40-50 bucks. Once you add shipping, you're right at $60. I will probably give the LDS a call for price and ask them to install it while they're at it. It's a two hour round trip to the LDS, so I might as well make it worth my while.

should take em about 5 minutes to swap them out. Thats allowing for - looking for the socket, dropping that little oring, finding the little oring, lubing the oring and having a coffee as well.

Its very easy.

hey, I was wondering if anyone had these directions with pictures/schematics of the steps (I'm a visual/kinestic learner)? My LDS told me he would charge $25 and truthfully I dont really trust him not to scratch my reg up. I've been told its a easy switch and I understand the directions pretty well, but I would like some schematics for reassurance.

Thanks
Drew G

NAVY21:
hey, I was wondering if anyone had these directions with pictures/schematics of the steps (I'm a visual/kinestic learner)? My LDS told me he would charge $25 and truthfully I dont really trust him not to scratch my reg up. I've been told its a easy switch and I understand the directions pretty well, but I would like some schematics for reassurance.

Thanks
Drew G

I have schematic and I think I have some instructions but can't get them to you until after Xmas. You will need a soft jawed vice or other suitable means of holding the reg while applying about 30 ft-lb of torque. Removing the yoke nut normally requires a special yoke nut socket but a very large adjustable wench can do the removal jobs if you are careful. Installation of the DIN connector requires a torque wrench good for about 275 in-lb to be applied with a hex socket. Slips often mean scratches, especially with the yoke nut. If your LDS has the tools and experience, you may want to let them do it. $25 is not unreasonable (but not cheap either). If you are not planning on converting back and forth or don't already have the right tools, you may want to reconsider the DIY. If you still want the schematic and instruction, PM me with an email address that will handle some moderately sized attachments and I can gat them to you next week.

Edit: I hadn't noticed that I resonded to this years ago. I'm glad to see I was somewhat consistent in my responses.

I dont have schematics, but lets see if I can talk you through it... you need a real short socket and breaker bar that will fit inside the yoke, loosen the nut and remove yoke. Screw in yoke and tighten with allen wrench. All done!

David P:
I dont have schematics, but lets see if I can talk you through it... you need a real short socket and breaker bar that will fit inside the yoke, loosen the nut and remove yoke. Screw in yoke and tighten with allen wrench. All done!

Other than Scubatools, does anyone know where the short socket and breaker bar is being sold ?

I just had my Mk25 switched to DIN and it cost me $45 for the parts and my LDS switched it for me for free here on Okinawa.

I had to switch to DIN because I recently bought two Steel 80 for only $60 so I couldn't pass up the deal.

David P:
I am ok with people doing it themselves as long as they do it properly. Your advice however is scary.

The retainer on the Mk 25 contains an o-ring at the bottom that seals against the regulator body. It is designed so that when properly torqued it fully compresses, contains and captures the o-ring without stressing the threads in the regulator body. SP had problems with cracks from people installing retainers with excessive torque and added a lip on the exterior of the retainer to prevent that. However, that does not prevent the retainer from being under torqued which creates the potential for the o-ring to leak, whihc at 3000 psi will be an impressive leak.

If all you use is an allen wrench to tighten the DIN retainer, a leak is very possible if the rather long body of the Mk 25 is ever knocked in a direction that loosens the fitting while the DIN connection is secured and pressurized on the tank. You need 22 ft pounds of torque to prevent that and it's hard to get that much with an allen wrench.

So to do it right you need a suitable socket, a 3" extension and a breaker bar to get remove the yoke. Then you need a torque wrench, and a 6mm long reach allen socket to install the DIN retainer and a 5/32 allen wrench to install the filter retainer in the DIN retainer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom