MK25 conversion from yoke to DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crab

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Scubapro MK25 that I am considering converting to to DIN. Looking back over old threads this seems like the type of modification that I should be able to do at home. Replacing regulator/inlfator hoses is about the extent of my regulator maintenance experience, so if this is as simple as wrenching off the yoke (where it meets the 1st stage) and replacing it with the DIN parts, I would have no reservations about doing it. If, on the other hand, it entails fiddling around with a host of internal parts, I will simply pay my lds to do it.

Just how complicated is this project? Your thoughts/experiences would be much appreciated.

It entails wrenching off the old one, and screwing in the new one. However, sometimes the yoke can be an absolute t-total B**** to come off.

That is fairly reassuring. I can handle the prospect of a t-total b**** (and I'm not even completly sure what that is) alot more than a lap full of tiny parts whose correct reassembly has a direct impact on my ability to breathe.

Thank you!

You will want a vise to securely hold the reg when you remove the yoke and install the DIN. Your talking about 24 ft-lb of torque so you are not going to be able to hold it in one hand and turn with the other. I remove all hoses and wrap the reg in a cushion of newspaper to keep from scratching it in the vise. Don't tighten the vise too much - just snug enough to hold it in place. Removing the 1" yoke nut really wants a special socket or tool but can be accomplished with a large adjustable wrench reaching around one leg of the yoke - the yoke and nut will turn together. If not done carefully with the adjustable wrench, it can slip and mare the chrome on the yoke (my "professional" LDS did that to one of mine years ago).

Installation of the DIN is easier because it is done with allen wrenches. First install the DIN fitting and torque it down. The captured O-ring is doing the sealing job so, although the spec is 266 in-lbs, anything in the ballpark of 20 to 25 ft-lb should be OK. Finally insert the filter, spring and it retainer and snug it up with another allen wrench - just a couple ft-lbs on this one (spec is 35 to 44 in-lbs).

If you don't have the right tools and don't intend to be converting back and forth between yoke and DIN, it might just be better to let your LDS do it.

No surprises on tiny parts. Yoke comes off as two large parts - the yoke and the yoke nut with 1 o-ring at the bottom. And you can see what you are dealing with the DIN. Remember, the filter in the DIN is inserted big end first - pointed end up. That is the opposit of the yoke.

As someone in the same position, I have threequestions:
what is a reasonable price to pay for the yoke -> DIN 300 conversion kit, what is a reasonable price to pay to have this done (don't have a vice in the apartment)

Also, are there MK20 -> MK25 conversion kits? What is the difference?

TIA,

-earl-

earl once bubbled...
As someone in the same position, I have threequestions:
what is a reasonable price to pay for the yoke -> DIN 300 conversion kit, what is a reasonable price to pay to have this done (don't have a vice in the apartment)

Also, are there MK20 -> MK25 conversion kits? What is the difference?

TIA,

-earl-

I'd check diveinn.com for price but, if LDS is going to do the conversion, you might as well do the whole thing there. The conversion should take 10 to 15 minutes on a work bench.

Difference is the external adjuster for intermediate pressure. I believe that most or of all the benefit is to the LDS. I maintain my own regs including 3 Mk20's and see no real benefit in making the conversion. When the IP needs adjusting, it's usually a good indicator that it needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

Don't know what a reasonable price is states side but I paid about GBP 35 (about US$ 55) seemed reasonable to me....

My yoke to DIN conversion kit cost me $60 from a LDS.

Back
Top Bottom