Mk19 + d420 whistling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so... a little update for the inquiring minds.
I received the set back from SP. The D420 was found to be free flowing because of some sand in it. This is somewhat strange because it was free flowing after being bench tested. But it is entirely possible because, if I remember correctly, the morning before I put it on the bench I performed some rescue practice on the beach. It could be that some sand was inside it and it did not affect the regulator while on the bench, and then it created problems during the subsequent dive.
I have to say that this rig, problems aside, breathes phenomenally well.
Now about the whistling... that did not go away. At this point I will likely receive a replacement unit but we did do some more investigation to replicate the issue in a more consistent way.
The whistling shows up at about 20 ft and goes away at about 30-35 ft. There is an interesting histeresis phenomenon in the sense that it whistles on the way down, but not on the way up.
Unfortunately my #1 spot for shore dives here locally in Aguadilla, PR is a collapsed military pier where you spend the entire dive between 20 and 30 ft so the whistling gets really annoying.
From what I understand this is highly unusual and people at SP have been scratching their head about it.
I am not sure if I will receive a report once it gets back to ScubaPro in LA (I doubt it) but if I do I'll make sure to share it here.

Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom