Mixing stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, it is an internet forum to discusss the info and tip. I am sure that many members want to hear this kind of info like myself instead of hearing "buying mine' and "this is a right one" at the discussion sub-forum.

Just my 2 bar.

You know, it is an internet forum to discusss the info and tip. I am sure that many members want to hear this kind of info like myself instead of hearing "buying mine' and "this is a right one" at the discussion sub-forum.

Just my 2 bar.

I get what you're saying about this being a forum, but you are asking a manufacturer to give you tips on how to homebuild something he spent time developing. That wouldn't fly anywhere else, why should you expect it here?

I get what you're saying about this being a forum, but you are asking a manufacturer to give you tips on how to homebuild something he spent time developing. That wouldn't fly anywhere else, why should you expect it here?

I was teasing him..:wink:

I frequent forums because they are rich with do-it-yourself types that like designing and building things not just to save money, but for the personal satisfaction.

Lets face it, Oxyhacker doesn't have to promote his book because everyone else does it for him. It a book for do-it-yourselfers, and he always on here helping people out.

Ducky can pump up his own products but it kind of goes against the spirit on just about every board I frequent. When manufacturers do chime in, I'm used to them offering advice free of charge. They are also usually board sponsors, which ducky may be, I don't really know.

On the flip side, when you buy a product from a manufacurer, you at least have someone to sue if something blows up, assuming they are still in business.

I don't mean to ruffle your feathers ducky, you probably make a really great product. I'm just pointing out some reasons why you don't get all that much of a response, at least that I have seen.

Dave

I've doled out a fair share of good advice, all for free. You can review my previous posts to ascertain that for yourself. I have provided links to various manufactures/resellers that provide parts for specific needs. I'd be happy to further explain the application of the items I have been part of developing. But I will not tell you how to reverse engineer the stuff that I have spent a significant amount of time and money to develop. I'll let you go through that learning curve yourself. The answer itself may be simple, but the thought process to get to that result is not. It is much harder to design something from initial concept without a recipe, and the product usually goes through several iterations before it is ready for sale to the public. I have a locker full of parts that almost worked for a particular application, but didn't. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, it will likely cost you much more than if you simply purchased the item from me. Research and Development is an expensive, time consuming process. I recover that expense in the follow-on manufacture and sale. I understand that you are trying to be frugal, but don't expect me to give away intellectual property for free.

Hi, I am keen to make a mixing stik, only problem I can see is how to automatically alter the 02 flow rate as air output will slow as tank pressure increases. Be great to not have to stand beside it monitoring 02 % whilst filling? Cheers Will

Since once the valve is closed the pressure inside the solenoid valve and line will gradually build to the set pressure of the reg, and then maybe higher if the seat is leaky as many old regs are. So the a solenoid cutoff valve if fitted really ought to be rated for 02 and rated for a fairly high pressure. These can be hard to find and often expensive.

One way around this is to use a three way solenoid, set so that rather than cutting off the flow when the power goes off, it dumps the flow into the atmosphere. This wastes a bit of oxygen, but mean the O2 pressure in the valve never exceeds atmospheric pressure, so almost any solenoid valve can be used.

I'm picturing a whistle added to this very good idea.

On my medical O2 flow regulator, if the flow is blocked, a whistle built into the reg sounds off. I discovered it by shutting off flow with the needle valve- scared the bejeezus outa me!

Pescador's blow-off valve idea could be easily adapted if there is not enough low pressure flow relieved through the 3 way solenoid to make a good alarm sound.

Another idea is to add a very low pressure pneumatic switch to the 3way solenoid to turn on power for an alarm when flow stops going to the mix stick.

All very low-tech. No PLC required.

I make a gizmo...]
Someone always does. Finding stuff to buy is usually not difficult.

Like others have said, I love to read these kinds of posts for what I learn, not where I can go to buy something from someone else who learned it already. It isn't about the money for me (yes, it often costs more to DIY), it's about the fun of learning and applying this stuff. But that's just me. Others would rather just buy something that is already proven and be done with it.

Have you ever seen Oxyhacker post a link to his books? Nope, he just offers advise and then others promote the books for him. Verses other vendors who peddle their stuff by linking to their web sites all the time. Don't worry, if you have a good product and you aren't too self-promoting, others will link to your site for you.

There are a bunch of manufactures/vendors on ScubaBoard who never self-promote, but because they offer a good product/service, the members do it for them! :D

I'm not against manufactures helping solve a member's issue by linking to their website. But when they do it several times in one thread...:shakehead:

Oh, and one more thing. I highly recomend OxyHacker books (I have several): http://www.airspeedpress.com/ :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom