Mixing brands: Is it a safe practice? (Oceanic/US Divers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

work4mike

Reaction score
I was wondering if mixing brands is a common practice amongst experienced divers on this forum?

I currently have a US Divers setup (US Divers console, Micra 1st stage, Micra 2nd, Micra AirMic Backup) and was considering replacing the 1st stage and 2nd stage with an Oceanic Omega II and a Oceanic DX4 1st stage.

The Oceanic 1st & 2nd stage is definitely newer technology (1st stage is environmentally sealed etc) but here are my concerns:

1) Will mixing brands void Oceanic's warranty?
2) Will this setup need special conversions (ie. Yoke to DIN) ?
3) Will this setup render a worse performance ? Should I keep the US Diver 1st stage and just replace the 2nd stage with the Omega II?

4) How much will an honest dive shop charge to do this conversion/replacement?

Any other thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated. I am new on the forum. Thanks.

I don't see a problem with what you are doing. The Omega is a pretty good second stage. The DX4 is not bad, I think that it might be discontinued. Neither warranty will be void with the conversion. You shouldn't need any conversion pieces unless you have one of the really really old hp hoses that is the same size as the LP ones. Other than that yoke or DIN shouldn't have anything to do with mixing and matching unless the two regs are different. As far as price, if they like you enough, and hte regs don't need service charge should me minimal. I would do it for free...

rescuediver009:
... Other than that yoke or DIN shouldn't have anything to do with mixing and matching unless the two regs are different..... I would do it for free...

thanks for your reply rescuediver009. and so, i wish i lived close to ontario and perhaps you can help me do it. And, free beer for you with it ;-)

my main rationale in mixing brands is 1) Omega II for comfort, 2) the Oceanic DX4's environmental sealing is a plus, to reduce service intervals.

I suppose... if I swapped out the Omega II and kept the Micra 2nd stage, I will need a converter kit? The Oceanic DX4 has a yoke valve.

The second stage wouldn't effect weither the reg is a yoke reg or a din reg. The first stage(connected to the tank) and tankvalve are the only things you have to worry about when you talk din and yoke valves. In your case the DX4 would be the only thing you are to worry about weither you order it in DIN or yoke.

Here is how I see it. Right now you have the US Divers setup (US Divers console, Micra 1st stage, Micra 2nd, Micra AirMic Backup), really them main parts to consider are only the first and second stage. The rest of the hoses coming off the first stage are just "accessories". You want to get a new first and second stage. It is not a problem to move the "accessories" from your old first stage to your new first stage. You need an allen wrench to remove the plugs from the new first stage and a wrench to remove what ever you want to move it. Then all you have to do is screw them into the openings you took the plug out of. Just be sure to put the gauges in the HP hole and the hoses into the rest of the holes. Actually, you shouldn't be able to mix them up as they are different sized. It is really simple.

Thanks for the info Diveborg. That is the idea. I am replacing the Micra 1st & 2nd stage with an Oceanic DX4 & Omega II. Since I've never done this before, what is the "torque" I need to ensure it's safely screwed in? Also, do I need any special dive product grease for the threads.

Any other technician "best practices" that I should observe when swapping 1st & 2ns stages around?

You don't need to do anything to the threads... Just screw in hand tight, then just a little more with a little crescent wrench. It will only move from about noon to 1 on a clock with a small crescent. Just past hand tight and you'll be good.

Remember, these are brass on brass threads, and you're just trying to seal the o-ring in there.

check the oring, apply a small amount of lube to the threads and oring. Cristo lube is one of the best and if you are diving oxygen enriched air special lube is neccecary.
JUMBO

I don't generally lube my threads, but if you want to do so, follow jumbo's advice and use Cristo lube.

It is also always good advice to check the O-ring on anything that has one before you reassemble it; lights, camera housings, and such.

I also agree with Larry, just use the small crescent wrench to make the fittings just a little more than hand tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom