Mix & Match

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking of getting a better 2nd stage and mixing it with another brand 1st stage. Since most 1st stages are just a spring and piston or diaphram pressure valves that regulate the bottle pressure down from 3000 to 125 or so no matter what brand I don't see a problem. The major differences between regulators in performance seems to be in the 2nd stage which is where i want an improvement. I only dive warm water and would appreciate some knowledgeable freedback.

You pretty much got it. The first stage has little to do with the overall performance of the reg, provided it is working correctly. Piston, diaphram, balanced or not, brand X or brand y first stage makes almost no difference as long is it's hooked to a good quality, well tuned second stage.

performance means many things to many people. All regulators, cheap or top of the line, do the same thing, regulate pressure from tank down to ambient, that's a fact. How comfortably and reliably they do that can vary. I've heard of regulators that have performed flawlessly for over 10 years before their first overhaul and of ones that failed catastrophically (blown hp seat at 100ft)after a few months. Go with a brand that's been in the market for a while and has a track record of reliability. The only way to check comfort level is to try it before you buy it, you can't do that by ordering online.

You have it right.I use a zeagle dsv with a hog second works as good as any I have used.

Mixing different brands "might" pose a problem when it is time to service them... does your LDS work on Brand A but not on Brand B.... another stop at another dive shop potentially!

Mixing brands is fine but I would just stick with the same brand. Buy one of there cheaper first stages. If you keep up with warrenties and servicing it may be easier to keep track of. Either way would work fine though.

NOLA DIVER

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom