Mitchell Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
So what do folks think about the Mitchell Report? and what MLB will do about it?

Roger Clemons was listed. As was Barry Bonds, as expected.

Jose Canseco was denied entrance to Mitchell's news conference. While I think it's wrong for these guys to use drugs, I don't really think it's right to deny them access to a press conference where they are being accused of anything.

so... one more question. Should Congress get involved?

according to a media report

About two hours after the report was released, two congressmen at the forefront of Capitol Hill's involvement in the steroids issue asked Mitchell, Selig and Fehr to testify at a House committee hearing next Tuesday.

California Democrat Henry Waxman and Virginia Republican Tom Davis -- the leaders of the panel that held the March 17, 2005, hearing at which McGwire, Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa testified -- want to know "whether the Mitchell Report's recommendations will be adopted and whether additional measures are needed," they said.

Also, a congressional subcommittee will hold a hearing on Jan. 23 relating to steroid use in professional sports.

It might be true but to have a Boston Redsox paid employee(mitchell) conduct an investigation which involves the NY Yankees and other teams in there division is definitely a conflict of interest. He sure did a good job of clearing the owners and commissioner who knowlingly made millions during the "steroid era"

Baseball has so missed the boat on this. They should have done something about steroids years ago like the NFL did. By waiting they have given themselves a HUGE black eye and now even die-hard baseball fans question the integrity of the game. They also have the Bond's issue where you have an athlete who clearly was using performance enhancing drugs set one of the most significant league records but yet technically didn't break any league rules doing it. What a mess. I'm not a baseball fan and never have been, but to see the mess this has become I really don't know how they're going to pull out of it.

It might be true but to have a Boston Redsox paid employee(mitchell) conduct an investigation which involves the NY Yankees and other teams in there division is definitely a conflict of interest. He sure did a good job of clearing the owners and commissioner who knowlingly made millions during the "steroid era"

True... but remember the comissioner (bud selig ) also owns a team (the Brewers). He's looking out for his interest as comissioner and also as an owner.

Also note that Selig makes about $14million a year from MLB.

Selig will retire in about another year. It would have been interesting for them making Marge Schott as Comissioner. At least it would be fun to watch. (but she died a few years ago). She did some good things for the fans by not raising prices and making comittments to keep them down. (of course she had a negative side also...)

As long as they don't let Steinbrenner take over. (remember he was guilty of federal charges related to Nixon. He was also suspended from baseball once and banned also. Selig is the one who reinstated him).

I wonder if he (mitchell) would included any Red Sox if they were clearly reportable?

True... but remember the comissioner (bud selig ) also owns a team (the Brewers). He's looking out for his interest as comissioner and also as an owner.

Also note that Selig makes about $14million a year from MLB.

Selig will retire in about another year. It would have been interesting for them making Marge Schott as Comissioner. At least it would be fun to watch. (but she died a few years ago). She did some good things for the fans by not raising prices and making comittments to keep them down. (of course she had a negative side also...)

As long as they don't let Steinbrenner take over. (remember he was guilty of federal charges related to Nixon. He was also suspended from baseball once and banned also. Selig is the one who reinstated him).

I wonder if he (mitchell) would included any Red Sox if they were clearly reportable?

I wonder if he (mitchell) would included any Red Sox if they were clearly reportable. Just asking this question shows that the investigation could be suspect:no

He did -- Mo Vaughn was on the list.

I wish Paul Tagliabue would be the next MLB commissioner.

I don't really think it's right to deny them access to a press conference where they are being accused of anything.

true.

I worry about mayors that do coke more.
or presidential candidates

if professional athletes want to ravage their bodies with steroids, I don't really care beyond them getting penalized for cheating.

We worry too much about "fairness". It cannot be acheived.

I don't know if athletes should be allows to use HGH or not. Honestly, I don't much care. I do know it sure isn't fair for Barry Bonds to be facing prison, Marion Jones to be without her gold medals, and all the others that have been punished for this behavior.

Folks we need to remember that the USE OF STEROIDS WAS NOT AGAINST THE RULES in major league baseball until recently.

Phil Ellis

But it was against the rules in the Olympics

For me this is tough. On one hand, who cares? Baseball (and all other major sports) is just show business. They play a game and we love to watch and root for our favorites. (Go Dodgers!) Do I really care if some new starlet has surgery or if an actor gets juiced so he can play a roll? Nope. Major sports stars, like major move stars are paid real money and plenty of it. Where I think the main issue is, if it was a rule and they violated it, there should be consequences – in their sport – NOT in the courtroom or on the floor of congress.

The only reason it has become political is some politicians can get exposure and airtime if they jump into the fray.

I would also vote for Pete Rose to be in the Hall of Fame. That’s another cryin’ shame.

Back
Top Bottom