Missing equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SalahY

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm a SDI advanced adventure diver planning on getting my Rescue, Nitrox and Navigation certificates.

I'm a recreational diver. On August 2015 I started scuba diving. I only did 9 dives. 5 OW and 4 AOW to get the certificates. Then I stayed absent from diving for 10 months due to the cold weather. I then went to Sharm El Sheikh Egypt for fun dives. I did 8 dives in 4 days. After diving in Sharm I decided that YES I do want to dive more so I need to buy my own equipment which I did buy some if not most of what I need. I noticed that this sport takes away your money but hey it's worth it for what's down there lol. Anyways here's the equipment that I have at the moment:-

1-Scubapro X-BLACK BCD large size ( Although I need to loose weight to let it fit me ) I weigh 262 lbs/119 kg.
2- XXXL Scubapro 3mm wetsuit.
3- Full din valve regulator with gauge, octopus and inflation hose.
4- Boots and fins.
5- Aqua Lung mask
6- Scubapro weight belt although I don't use it I put the weights inside the BCDs pockets.
7- H1 waterproof hood 5/7mm

All that costed me 1380 USD.

Right now I'm missing the following equipment which I feel like I need to fully start scuba diving. Yes I'm planning on going to Sharm El Skeikh again in September.

I'm missing:-
Dive computer
Knife

Recommend what else I need for my dives ? Remember I dive less than 20 dives per year.

TLDR; about dive computers, my budget is 400-500 USD. I need something that has nitrox mode and yes even if I spend 150 USD on a computer that's fine.

If you have another $500 to spend I recommend putting a couple hundred towards a simple wrist computer and the rest toward search and rescue. Leisure Pro is selling the Mares Puck Pro for $170 right now. Might be a good fit for you.

Since you're diving in the ocean I would buy a PLB and a canister. You can buy the ACR ResQLink+ for $200 (after $50 rebate) and a Custom Divers canister for $100.

Pick up a couple DSMB's. I buy mine from Piranha Dive Mfg. I own the 6 and 8 foot models ~$30-40 (2 is 1 and 1 is none). Make sure you get the ones with the baffled bottom, oral inflator and over pressure relief valve. I would add at least a small finger spool or reel so you can deploy the DSMB at depth if boat traffic is a concern.

I would also spend $50 on a DiveAlert and some other odds and ends like a storm whistle, mirror, EMT shears and any small titanium knife will do.

You will need to lose a LOT of weight to fit in the "Large" BC. Why didn't you buy an XL BC?

Did you try the XXXL wetsuit on and made sure it is comfortable on you??

Because it has serious limitations. A small antenna at the surface in any kind of swell will have very little range. It only allows communication if someone is monitoring a VHF radio. And most importantly, the receiving vhf radio must be a modern radio with gps data transfer capabilities in order to capture the users location.

A PLB on the other hand sends a direct and continuous satellite transmission of your GPS coordinates. When SAR receives a signal they make a quick phone call to the phone number on file to verify it's not a false alarm and if they do not succeed in confirming a false alarm they immediately deploy the calvary.

Edit: One other point, what if the boat goes down? Now there's no vhf radio to communicate with for rescue.

You will need to lose a LOT of weight to fit in the "Large" BC. Why didn't you buy an XL BC?

Did you try the XXXL wetsuit on and made sure it is comfortable on you??

Yeah I know I need to lose at least 30 kilos / 66 lbs to get more comfortable. The reason why I bought a large size BCD was because I didn't want to buy a new BCD after losing weight so I bought a large one that will fit me even after losing weight. It's an expensive BCD.

You need to be around 200lb to fit in a large. I am around 229 and fit into an XL and be comfortable with room to spare.

What about the suit? Did you try the XXXL wetsuit on and made sure it is comfortable on you??

You need to be around 200lb to fit in a large. I am around 229 and fit into an XL and be comfortable with room to spare.

What about the suit? Did you try the XXXL wetsuit on and made sure it is comfortable on you??

I did try the XXXL 3mm wetsuit with the L BCD on and dove in Sharm last June. I wasn't comfortable while on boat however when I descend everything gets compressed even the wetsuit and BCD so it gets more comfortable. Again the reason I bought a L size is because I'm planning on losing weight. I didn't want to buy a XL BCD and then lose weight and must buy a new BCD again.

You could get a cutter but not necessarily a knife. Other options are shears and a trilobite.

As others mentioned, a simple wrist computer for ~$200 new would probably suffice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom