Missing Divers - Komodo National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must say I am puzzled by this, as well as Dandy Don's thank you to it. I can not respond to your comments about blame and suing, as I have not spoken on that topic, nor plan to. But the issue I have been commenting on is one of safety.

We are all aware that when traveling abroad, we should not expect things to be exactly the way they are in our home country. But that does not mean we can not expect a certain level of safety on the boats we dive from. If someone were to complain that the boat they dived from was leaking, would you knock them for not being more accepting of local ways? Of course not! For me, radio communication is just as important as a seaworthy boat. And as a customer, I get to chose who I dive with.

Maybe diving tourist should understand that there are risks associated with diving in other than you home country. Know what the risk are and do not expect to be a tourist. Maybe people should not be so quick to blame the operator when something does not go right and or say they are incompetent and should be sued. Not every country is the USA and they have their own ways of doing things.

I have said enough on this issue.

John

I must say I am puzzled by this, as well as Dandy Don's thank you to it. I can not respond to your comments about blame and suing, as I have not spoken on that topic, nor plan to. But the issue I have been commenting on is one of safety.

We are all aware that when traveling abroad, we should not expect things to be exactly the way they are in our home country. But that does not mean we can not expect a certain level of safety on the boats we dive from. If someone were to complain that the boat they dived from was leaking, would you knock them for not being more accepting of local ways? Of course not! For me, radio communication is just as important as a seaworthy boat. And as a customer, I get to chose who I dive with.
That's well said, too - don't mean to imply that you're wrong. I won't totally agree with "But that does not mean we can not expect a certain level of safety on the boats we dive from," as we need to seek the safer operators where we want to go sure, need to encourage better safety when needed, but there is going to be compromises made - and in those areas we need to seek ways to work within the local system as safely as possible, or consider another destination.

For example: I have been anxious about tank air quality outside of the US for sometime, but now am ordering my own CO tester that I'll use everywhere. Once I have it and have used it, I will probly encourage everyone to take one overseas for a mix of reasons not relative to this thread.

Oh I thank people a lot, just a courtesy...

Last edited:
If you have been to this part of the world diving you would know that many of the boat or small local fishermen. This is a very poor country. It would be the rare case for them to have a vhf radio.

The dive boat/liveaboards I have been on before were did not have a vhf radio but rather a HF radio. Solutions that seem obvious and easy to implement in the richer countries of the world are often not so easy to achieve in the third world countries.

I would agree with this except for one thing . the vast majority of the big dive ops being run in third world countries are being run by ex-pats from western countries. Places like the USA, UK, Germany, Austria, etc. As such, I would for the most part expect them to import the safety measures from their home country. If they are not then I would question their operation and why they are not.

I would not expect locals, (i.e. fisherman) to carry a radio. No way, they are too busy trying to feed their families. I think there is a very very clear distinction between two.

If you have been to this part of the world diving you would know that many of the boat or small local fishermen. This is a very poor country. It would be the rare case for them to have a vhf radio.

The dive boat/liveaboards I have been on before were did not have a vhf radio but rather a HF radio. Solutions that seem obvious and easy to implement in the richer countries of the world are often not so easy to achieve in the third world countries.

John

From what I've seen in parts of Indonesia, Malaysia and the Maldives (and I'd imagine the Philippines was the same) you stand a better chance of calling someone on a cell phone that you would on a VHF radio. While most fisherman probably don't have a VHF radio it seems like everyone has a cell phone and cell coverage far exceeds any other communications network that I am aware of over there. Cell phone technology is/was a great boon with regards to communications in many of the island nations where land line phone communications would be exorbitantly expensive even if possible.

It all boils down it a personal decision as to whether or not you are willing to accept risks greater than you would expect with a dive op in the USA, Australia, etc. Of course, they have been known to forget people also.

Rick, if you're 30 miles from the closest cell tower, you can be 100 feet from the boat and go more by tossing the phone than talking on it.

Rick, if you're 30 miles from the closest cell tower, you can be 100 feet from the boat and go more by tossing the phone than talking on it.

Don,

I understand that completely. 30 miles on a cell phone is better than no one to hear you on a VHF radio - neither of which is good - just what it is in some of those areas.

I too have dived with Reekseekers and Kathy, Unreal, so glad to hear she and the others are safe!!

OK, if I were traveling to that part of the world, in addition to my CO monitor/tester - yes, I would want whatever water resistant radio would work with the local English speaking population - not the kind I think they should have, and a water resistant GPS. That's a lot of gadgets to be taking when most don't bother, tho and it would be nice to dive with a DM who carried them. Accepting that's not going to happen in many places, nor are many boats going to have the electronic trackers, I guess the radio would be more desirable over the GPS.

Traveling with a buddy, I'd like to split those gadgets and agree to stay very close together no matter what.

The dive boat/liveaboards I have been on before were did not have a vhf radio but rather a HF radio.
John

Amazing, for dive boats /live-aboards (especially) not to have VHF radio. To meet survey requirements it is a must to have at least 1 functioning VHF radio.

As for other gear just need safety sausage, Heliograph (mirror for signaling), torch and a decent sounding device (like diver alert or something similar. And in areas that warrant possibly a PLB like the fastfind plus by McMourdo.

Back
Top Bottom