Missing Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KeSha P

Reaction score
Has anyone heard any news on the diver that went missing in the waters off Denman Island BC???

KeSha P:
Has anyone heard any news on the diver that went missing in the waters off Denman Island BC???

Got a call from a friend yestarday who knew I was out diving and was relieved when I answered the phone. He heard it on the police scanner that a diver was missing but that's all I know. I wonder if this shouldn't be moved to the Western Canada forum since I believe it would get a more specific audience there?
So how did you hear about it?

Hey there Dave... it's Shanyn and Ken from Chilliwack... we heard a small blurb on the news on Sunday Night but cannot find anything else... we called Ken at Divers Choice and he did not hear anything either...

Glad to hear that you are well...

Oh and I have posted it to the Western Canada Forum too...

Shanyn
wedivebc:
Got a call from a friend yestarday who knew I was out diving and was relieved when I answered the phone. He heard it on the police scanner that a diver was missing but that's all I know. I wonder if this shouldn't be moved to the Western Canada forum since I believe it would get a more specific audience there?
So how did you hear about it?

This morning on BCTV news they said as of last night no body was found. I haven't heard at all today, but that was the news as of this morning (Monday). Hopefully they won't find a body at all but the guy is alive somewhere, but I think those are slim chances. The news also said he was a new diver with little or no experience in our waters. Sorry I don't have more info.

Nali

KeSha P:
Hey there Dave... it's Shanyn and Ken from Chilliwack... we heard a small blurb on the news on Sunday Night but cannot find anything else... we called Ken at Divers Choice and he did not hear anything either...

Glad to hear that you are well...

Oh and I have posted it to the Western Canada Forum too...

Shanyn
Hey Shanyn, I head a name of a liveabord that the diver was from but I don't want to say till I hear it from the horses mouth. I will post that which is postable, when I get it.
Say hi to Ken for me.

Nalidixic:
This morning on BCTV news they said as of last night no body was found. I haven't heard at all today, but that was the news as of this morning (Monday). Hopefully they won't find a body at all but the guy is alive somewhere, but I think those are slim chances. The news also said he was a new diver with little or no experience in our waters. Sorry I don't have more info.

Nali

Victoria Times Colonist reports:

Mishaps and fatalities over the long weekend

Reminds us all about the other side of diving... My condolences to his family...

jimisurf:
Very sad. Keeps you humble. My thoughts are with the family > Jimi

My dad had called me about the Denman Island incident and also mentioned the diver that drifted away in Victoria. These types of stories make him question the sport I love so much. I told him that I carry a large surface marker buoy to limit my risk of getting lost in a current.

As for the accident at Denman I dive a lot in that area and am very sorry to hear about it. I hope that more details are released. My condolences to the family.

Everyone dive safe. Use reliable gear that you are familiar with. Stay close to, pay attention to and get to know your buddy and don't dive beyond yours or your buddy's personal limits. Many people think this means depth but high current and low visibility are other factors to consider. Also if you are trying out new gear do an easy check out dive first.

deepdiverbc:
My dad had called me about the Denman Island incident and also mentioned the diver that drifted away in Victoria. These types of stories make him question the sport I love so much. I told him that I carry a large surface marker buoy to limit my risk of getting lost in a current.

As for the accident at Denman I dive a lot in that area and am very sorry to hear about it. I hope that more details are released. My condolences to the family.

Everyone dive safe. Use reliable gear that you are familiar with. Stay close to, pay attention to and get to know your buddy and don't dive beyond yours or your buddy's personal limits. Many people think this means depth but high current and low visibility are other factors to consider. Also if you are trying out new gear do an easy check out dive first.

I agree. I've heard that the hyperbaric unit in Vancouver has been treating quite a few divers recently. I'm guessing that what we're seeing is the result of a lot of people getting out for their first dives in quite a while. Rusty skills = accidents. I hope that everybody takes it easy if they haven't been diving recently. A pool refresher isn't a bad idea for anybody who hasn't been diving in several months, especially if they aren't especially experienced. Going out on a fun dive with a LDS also isn't a bad way to ease back into it. Man, I just don't like seeing people get hurt or even scared doing this.

Back
Top Bottom