Missing diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the link. I've copied the important stuff here:
Suddenly a strong current, with a force like you’ve never felt, is pushing you downward. You instinctively kick upward as hard as you can against the downcurrent and add air to your BCD. But it’s not working — you’re still sinking. You glance at your dive computer and in a matter of seconds, you’ve dropped to 114 feet (35 m). You’re focusing all your energy on trying not to panic as you equalize your ears. You’ve now fully inflated your BCD, and while doing so has slowed you down, you’re still descending.

SWIM AWAY FROM THE WALL

When you lock eyes with your buddy, you realize that she is beckoning you to follow her away from the wall. As a last-ditch effort you start to kick horizontally, with your body now at a 45-degree angle. Within moments the current subsides and your computer is urgently beeping that you’re ascending too fast. You manage to vent air from your BCD and arrest your ascent. After what feels like a lifetime of getting your breath back, you and your buddy manage a controlled ascent to 15 feet (5 m), where you do a safety stop.

Even though you surfaced far from the pinnacle and your entry point, you brought a DSMB on the dive and deployed it during your safety stop. After your boat spots it and picks you up, you spend the journey back to shore reflecting on a pretty unnerving experience that probably only lasted around a minute, but felt much longer.

I don't believe this is what happened at all but just a wicked extreme example!! It starts at about 25 seconds into the video, watch some of the breathing rates.....

Ride around in boats down here a few days and watch the water or have the captain or DM point out spots - you can see the current virtually every day. Ride around long enough and you'll see something really strange - maybe looks like something is sinking there, hard to describe - I have heard people refer to it as boiling water..... Why it happens, I have no idea, it's rare but I've seen ugly spots more than a few times. What is it? Who knows, I like thrills but there's no reason I'd put a tank on and jump into that....

You experience up and down currents I would say every time you dive Cedral. That is one of the hardest dive sites for divers with slight bouyancy issues IMO - the water flow carrys you up and down almost the whole dive and I see people add and subtrat air the whole dive.

I don't believe this is what happened at all but just a wicked extreme example!! It starts at about 25 seconds into the video, watch some of the breathing rates.....

Ride around in boats down here a few days and watch the water or have the captain or DM point out spots - you can see the current virtually every day. Ride around long enough and you'll see something really strange - maybe looks like something is sinking there, hard to describe - I have heard people refer to it as boiling water..... Why it happens, I have no idea, it's rare but I've seen ugly spots more than a few times. What is it? Who knows, I like thrills but there's no reason I'd put a tank on and jump into that....

You experience up and down currents I would say every time you dive Cedral. That is one of the hardest dive sites for divers with slight bouyancy issues IMO - the water flow carrys you up and down almost the whole dive and I see people add and subtrat air the whole dive.

That video is terrifying. My heart started racing just watching it.

scuba diver in a vortex - Google Suche
The video is terrifying, but how did they get all four divers to roll like we are supposed to? Did the other side roll at the same time so the boat would rock, like we're supposed to? I don't think I have ever seen it happen that way.

So the camera dude was close enough to catch it all without getting caught?

I think it's a good example of how two people could be holding hands and one gets pulled away.
I've carried a buddystrap for years, but the time I used it in zero viz, he turned loose.

@BLee88 - Jeremy's dive op is called Living Underwater.

Disclaimer: It's been a few years since I was last there (I haven't been diving since the pandemic blew up, we are going for our first post-COVID dives next month - to Honduras, not Coz this time).

I've gone diving with Jeremy and Living Underwater on 5 or 6 trips. Early on, he was on the boat as a DM every day. Last couple times, he had stepped back a bit from that, was still on the boats often but not every day. Last time I was there, he was on the boat occasionally, and was our DM one day out of the week we were diving with them. Other DMs on his boat were also very good. He runs a great boutique operation.

Next time we go to Cozumel, we will dive with Living Underwater again, and hope we get to dive with Jeremy as often as he's willing to get in the water with us. He's great at spotting things.
Jeremy is diving more often. Pepe is his regular DM. We'll be back with them in April.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom