Missing Diver off Florida East Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
While near shore off of Vero Beach, Florida, today, we heard a "diver distress" alert from the Coast Guard over the Marine Channel 16 at about 1:45 pm, eastern daylight time. We couldn't provide assistance beacause we went anywhere near the incident site. I have been told they were near Cape Canareval in about 75 feet of water which more than likely puts them 20 miles offshore. The diver was over due by about 45 minutes when the Coast Guard was alerted. I have scanned the local news web sites and have found nothing about it. I was just wondering what the outcome was. FWC and the Coast Guard both sent helicopters to help with the search and next of kin information was given to the CG.

If you knows what happened, please reply.

Thanks

Haven't heard anything about it up here in Cape Canaveral and I was at at the Dive Shop till late yesterday

I have only heard VERY little about it. Read the posts in Florida Sportsman also. Looks like it was at Pelican Flats so yeah, about 20 miles offshore or so. About 70-80 ft deep in that area. Havent heard anything else though as far as confirmations or what exactly happened.

As of 2pm Monday he still hasn't been found. All I can find about him is that was 60 years old

I hate even watching that stuff on the news channels. The newscasters always seem so cold about it. I fish that area alot and dont know now if I'll be able to or not. Just knowing what has happened there will make it tough to be over the area for me. I hope my wife and kids dont see that report or they wont ever go out there again.

My condolences to his family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom