Missing Diver incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Having each diver initial/sign their own out of water column would go a long way to preventing that.

I have seen really good boat D/Ms who in fact check with every diver individually, and have them each sign the return roll. That is the best method, you are right. Fool proof. Even though fools can be so ingenious.

Speaking of ingenious, it is amazing to me that in the present incident, the threesome managed to lose one of their team, then answered up for him on the boat, and then also answered up for him again before going back into the water at the next site. Something is totally wrong, when that happens.

A long time ago on this board, one of members-I can't recall who- had a great suggestion. If you're going to leave a tip for the DM's, give them half of the bill in advance (ie. Rip a $10.00 bill in half) and let him/her know they get the other half when you get back.

I guarantee that they will seek you out when the dive is done....!!!

detroit diver:
A long time ago on this board, one of members-I can't recall who- had a great suggestion. If you're going to leave a tip for the DM's, give them half of the bill in advance (ie. Rip a $10.00 bill in half) and let him/her know they get the other half when you get back.

I guarantee that they will seek you out when the dive is done....!!!

That is too funny!

Problem is that they wont miss you until they count up the money, which is usually at the end of the diving day.

I surfed onto the SoCalif boards to find the boat, which I did.

The feeling on those boards is that the boat is a good one, normally, just that the D/M messed up big time.

Whenever I am in L.A. or San Diego on business or vacation, I like to spend a weekend diving with one particular boat, which I believe is the best of them all. Fortunately my boat was not the one involved in the incident. That was the reason for my follow up to find the boat. It always helps if you do your homework.

IndigoBlue:
That is too funny!

Problem is that they wont miss you until they count up the money, which is usually at the end of the diving day.

Well, I guess that depends on how much you give them!!!

IndigoBlue:
That is too funny!

I surfed onto the SoCalif boards to find the boat, which I did.

The feeling on those boards is that the boat is a good one, normally, just that the D/M messed up big time.

This is 100% True. The boat is a really good one. The captain is perhaps the best in SoCal. The DM was from the shop chartering the boat. I would have no hesitation to dive this boat again. I do have hesitation with the dive shop and the shop owner is going to have to have a detailed corrective action plan before I will think about using them again.

dazedone:
This is 100% True. The boat is a really good one. The captain is perhaps the best in SoCal. The DM was from the shop chartering the boat. I would have no hesitation to dive this boat again. I do have hesitation with the dive shop and the shop owner is going to have to have a detailed corrective action plan before I will think about using them again.

Let us know more about the D/M's training, if you find out. I am wondering if this was his/her first time on an actual dive boat?

A lot of emphasis goes into training a D/M to use a diver log, but not a lot of emphasis goes into specifying that the D/M should individually check with each diver returning to the boat. The verbal roll call is all too common, and too easy to abuse by buddies who say "yes he's here (somewhere)."

In the tropics on the better boats, the D/Ms will get each diver returning to the boat to sign the return log, and also to report max depth and dive time.

Verbal roll calls just do not cut it.

IndigoBlue:
Let us know more about the D/M's training, if you find out. I am wondering if this was his/her first time on an actual dive boat?

He is a PADI MSDT and has D/M'ed on several boats I have been on. I know he has been diving at least 7 years. He was my instructor on my AOW cert.

There is no excuse for not getting a roll call right.. we did that in first grade. However, did the diver who turned up missing follow proper missing diver procedures? If you're separated from the group, you should search underwater for 1 minute for your group. If you can't find them, then abort the dive, surface and signal to the boat. If you can't see the boat, blow your whistle. All divers should carry a safety whistle, especially if you're diving in an area with fog. If these procedures were not followed, then I place blame with the missing diver as well.

Well, im new here, but imho what happened was not one, but several small mistakes with an almost terrible consequence. I know the DM should have checked the role call, but... What about the buddy system? Thats why it exists. If they were padi divers they learned in owd program the "BWARF" predive check, where the "F" means "friend". The buddy system should be very clear at that moment. The DM must always check the buddies and, in the case of divers without buddy, provide one. The diver's friends could have checked if he was safe out of the water and then answer the role call for him. I guess we should not blame the DM or the Resort. This is a good example of all those boring rules we all learn at our first course that we never think it necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom