Missing Diver - Grand Cayman Sept 21, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shelf drops off drastically on those wall dives. I would not want to take new divers on some of those wall dives.
I just got back from diving 17 dives last week on these walls, kinda freaking out about this whole thing. Where was this guy's buddy????

I know that friends of the family have seen this thread. I also know from reports that I've seen that other members of the victims friends/family had just arrived on the island. I'm sure they are dealing with more pressing issues at the moment, but perhaps in time one of them will come forward with more information.

News and radio have echoed some of the same sentiments from locals that have been expressed here on SB in regards to diver safety, buddies and operator vigilance.

Perhaps when things settle down a bit and the family has had a chance to get over the shock and grieve, they will add more to this story to help understand what went wrong.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Condolences thread is here. That's the place for posts that don't shed any light on the mishap itself.

How many dive operators are there on Grand Cayman, and what percentage of the market does Divers Down have? They were also the op used by the diver from the 1000+ post discussion this spring. In that thread, they were accused of cutting some corners relative to safe diving practices and Cayman Islands law. While we have no real details here, the repeat of the operator makes it more interesting to know the circumstances. Was this just bad luck and a coincidence, or is there something broken in the manner in which Divers Down runs group dives?

How many dive operators are there on Grand Cayman, and what percentage of the market does Divers Down have? They were also the op used by the diver from the 1000+ post discussion this spring. In that thread, they were accused of cutting some corners relative to safe diving practices and Cayman Islands law. While we have no real details here, the repeat of the operator makes it more interesting to know the circumstances. Was this just bad luck and a coincidence, or is there something broken in the manner in which Divers Down runs group dives?

A quick search through the phone book shows about 4 pages and 50+ dive ops listed. They have at least two locations that I know of. One is in town, right by the dock on the waterfront that caters to a lot of cruise ship traffic. The other is operated out of Treasure Isle resort. There are three "names" associated with them that I know of, not sure if it's all one business or separate entities. Divers Down, Cayman Diving College and Cruise Divers.

No idea how much of a share they get. My experience with them is limited to a couple of shore dives. Never went on any of their boats.

How many dive operators are there on Grand Cayman, and what percentage of the market does Divers Down have? They were also the op used by the diver from the 1000+ post discussion this spring. In that thread, they were accused of cutting some corners relative to safe diving practices and Cayman Islands law.

The corners they were accused of cutting included things like "not leaving anybody on the boat while diving", which AFAIK wouldn't have prevented any of the deaths. if they want to hire an additional DM, I'd suggest he stay at the back of the group and make sure there aren't any stragglers or "lost buddies".

From my experience with them and the reports of other divers, DD has a "one size fits all" approach and seems to do the same dives the same way, regardless of the capabilities of the divers.

While we have no real details here, the repeat of the operator makes it more interesting to know the circumstances.
According to a website that gets some of the facts right sometimes, Red Sail has also had two fatalities this year.

Was this just bad luck and a coincidence, or is there something broken in the manner in which Divers Down runs group dives?
DD doesn't do a great job of running the dives. OTOH, I don't think they should "run dives" at all. The DM should describe the site, make sure everybody has a real buddy and a buoy, then tell them to "be back on the boat with their buddy before they run out of air", wish them a good dive and tell them "the pool is open".

Terry

I agree Terry. And that is not just DD to be fair. But all ops should do this and not give the decidedly FALSE inpression that having a DM or Guide will keep you safe. That is clearly not what is happening on these "guided" dives. The ones where nothing happens are either due to the skill, training, and experience of the INDIVIDUAL divers and their BUDDIES, or just plain dumb luck. Taking newbies on wall dives where there is effectively no bottom within recreational depths is just asking for someone to be killed and it is happening. SO, why in the hell are they still doing it?

...why in the hell are they still doing it?
Uh, because given the choice between buying a wall dive and a non-wall dive, the customer buys the wall dive every time?
Rick

From: Omaha.com - The Omaha World-Herald: Metro/Region - Former Omaha lawyer dies diving

Published Sep 25, 2009
Published Friday September 25, 2009
Former Omaha lawyer dies diving
By Michael Kelly
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Omaha native and attorney Charles L. Titus disappeared this week while scuba diving off the Cayman Islands and is presumed dead, his family said.
“It’s been a roller coaster of emotions,” said son Ben Titus of Omaha. “But the most comforting thing is that is one of the most beautiful places on earth. It gives a bit of peace that that’s where he is.”

Charles Titus, who was 60, graduated from Creighton Prep, Creighton University and the CU law school, and was a trial attorney in Omaha for 22 years.
In 1994, his son said, he moved to Las Vegas to open a title insurance office for Mike Fahey, a close friend who later became mayor of Omaha.
The elder Titus later returned to private practice, wrote a novel and was researching a second one.

An experienced diver, he was in a group of seven, including two guides and his wife, Rose. It was their 13th wedding anniversary.

About 9 a.m. Monday, they dived at Eagle Ray pass, North Wall. While ascending, divers noticed he was missing. The Caymanian Compass newspaper said a full search was conducted over several days.

Dr. Steve Titus of Omaha said his brother had survived prostate cancer but had high blood pressure and was a former longtime smoker. “I speculate that he had a sudden heart attack or something like that.”

In Omaha, Charles Titus had played keyboards in a rock band, the Intruders, which held a reunion last year. He also was an avid golfer and snow skier.

“He thought he could do anythng anybody had done once,” said Ben Titus, senior vice president of Mutual of Omaha Bank. “He was really charismatic and generous.”
Other survivors include his daughter, Brittany Benson, and five grandchildren.

Dr. Steve Titus of Omaha said his brother had survived prostate cancer but had high blood pressure and was a former longtime smoker. “I speculate that he had a sudden heart attack or something like that.”
Although we'll probably never find out, it would be interesting to know if he was on a Calcium Channel Blocker, which can cause dizziness or fainting.

Ask DAN - December 2008 | Scuba Diving Magazine

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom