Missing Diver at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John,

How do you know that the majority are health (or lack thereof) related? I personally know of many that were instructor related. I believe that the cold, horrible vis and no experience is more likely to contribute.

The hike up the path after a dive with full gear in a 7mm with hood and gloves on the student side should also be a killer following your logic. Don't see too many passing out on the way up.

Despite its popularity for divers in the Northeast,Dutch Springs seems to have had a lot of fatalities over the years. Anyone keeping score?

It's because of it's popularity that they have had some fatalities - the numbers of divers training there is simply staggering. It's a terrific place to train, they are very safety conscious and well equipped. They maintain the place well, and it's really a pretty area for camping, etc.. Also, if you get hot, you can just take off the dry suit, put on a bathing suit, and hit the water park.

The simple fact is that because of the extremely large numbers of divers training there at all levels, there is no way that they can avoid statistics and probability. Yeah, it's not Bonaire or Truk Lagoon, but the vis can be quite good, once you get away from the crowds. Your average warm water Caribbean wetsuit diver might think that it's horrible. I think that it's awesome.

It's because of it's popularity that they have had some fatalities - the numbers of divers training there is simply staggering. It's a terrific place to train, they are very safety conscious and well equipped. ...//...
I'll echo that post (even as someone who doesn't particularly like the place). The watchers are just short of safety Nazis. I admit that such attitude is needed as they encounter the entire spectrum of divers.

There are better places to train and dive, like the oceans and bays.

There are better places to train and dive, like the oceans and bays.

Well, they each have their place. Nothing can replace training in the environment that you will be diving in, I agree. But Dutch is good because you have a lot of room to spread a class out around a picnic table, do lectures and dive planning, break as needed for facilities or lunch, get fills and spare parts as needed, and no worries about planning a class and then having a blowout day.

Well, they each have their place. Nothing can replace training in the environment that you will be diving in, I agree. But Dutch is good because you have a lot of room to spread a class out around a picnic table, do lectures and dive planning, break as needed for facilities or lunch, get fills and spare parts as needed, and no worries about planning a class and then having a blowout day.

All that said. It will never be the ocean, open water.

Train where you plan to dive seems to be the better course.

I learned to dive in San Diego, there it was easy to be in the
water offshore and a great place to learn.

For many others, inland etc., a well managed confined water dive site is
a good choice. Seems like Dutch is one of those spots.

Search for Dutch Springs in this Forum and you come up with fatalities on 5/11 (son with dad - OOA), 8/13 (rebreather), 9/13 (solo night dive on scooter), 5/14 (buddy separation), 6/15 (no details) and then this week. Not a single one mentioned any of these being in a class. The data appears too suggest that being a very popular scuba training facility does not contribute to the rate of fatalities compared to medical events and diver error.

I know of a very well-run quarry not far from here that probably doesn't do a tenth of the business but averages about one fatality per year. I'm not sure how they could improve their procedures because they are already so safety-conscious and conscientious.

I've been to Dutch and thought that it was a quality facility as well, though much better equipped. If I compare these two locations, Dutch's statistics are exceptionally good. You hear about deaths from there because so very many people dive there. You hear about deaths because diving has risks.
If a open water dive quarry wants to improve safety among student divers they could require that all OW students have had a min of 8 hours of CW training or go find another quarry. Just saying

For already certified, proof of recent dive experience or a refresher required

Search for Dutch Springs in this Forum and you come up with fatalities on 5/11 (son with dad - OOA), 8/13 (rebreather), 9/13 (solo night dive on scooter), 5/14 (buddy separation), 6/15 (no details) and then this week. Not a single one mentioned any of these being in a class. The data appears too suggest that being a very popular scuba training facility does not contribute to the rate of fatalities compared to medical events and diver error.

Are you under the impression that training only happens in a class?

Last edited:
I personally know of many that were instructor related.
That would make a fascinating discussion and study to see why. I think you should supply links to those incidents so we an analyze them and see what is going on with the instruction to cause all these fatalities.

That would make a fascinating discussion and study to see why. I think you should supply links to those incidents so we an analyze them and see what is going on with the instruction to cause all these fatalities.

Not so fascinating. In two cases, a single instructor abandoned a student at depth while leading a distressed one to the surface. Don't think we need to bring in Ken Curtis for deep discussion.

Remember this? They quoted Chris and Jim.

Dutch Springs deaths illustrate danger of scuba diving

Bad physical shape never gets mentioned. I am close friends with the attorney that represented the family of the diver that drowned whose case was settled. (Latter part of article). Instructor was an a$$hole. I knew him too. I think he was responsible for one more before he closed up shop.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom