Missing boater in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fuzzmutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I went down to Breakwater in Monterey this weekend and there was a storm blowing through which made the water rough and choppy. Sat. night fire trucks started showing up, then an ambulance, police cars, and assorted other vehicles. Then they launched the coast guard boat.

They said a sailboat (with a motor) had been found going in circles in the bay. It had a backpack in it I guess? But no owner of the backpack. It was getting dark and they sent out a guy on a jet ski searching. Later a helecopter went out and the search went on until midnight. I was staying in a travel trailer there so I was there until the last dog died, so to speak. It gave me nightmares, I dreamed it was a diver they pulled out of the water, dead.

They quit searching for him, the water was sooo cold that I can't possibly imagine being out without a wetsuit, let alone for hours. I said several prayers for him and will probably say more.

Fuzzmutton:
I went down to Breakwater in Monterey this weekend and there was a storm blowing through which made the water rough and choppy. Sat. night fire trucks started showing up, then an ambulance, police cars, and assorted other vehicles. Then they launched the coast guard boat.

They said a sailboat (with a motor) had been found going in circles in the bay. It had a backpack in it I guess? But no owner of the backpack. It was getting dark and they sent out a guy on a jet ski searching. Later a helecopter went out and the search went on until midnight. I was staying in a travel trailer there so I was there until the last dog died, so to speak. It gave me nightmares, I dreamed it was a diver they pulled out of the water, dead.

They quit searching for him, the water was sooo cold that I can't possibly imagine being out without a wetsuit, let alone for hours. I said several prayers for him and will probably say more.
i also was there, i was teaching an advanced class but i heared nothing of this incident!!! and i still dont know anything of it. break water was fine on our first dive, but by the time of the second conditions were bad!!! lost a lift bag and weight, and a student lost his fin!!! today we were out on the cypress sea, we had a great time, but still knew nothing of the for mentioned incident!!

Yup. Didn't happen 'til late afternoon when most of the students and such had bugged out. Like I said, I had a trailer there so I was still there. The place was all lit up until midnight. Check the Bay Area news online and you will see a mention of it, a blurb that they called off the search.

Search For Missing Boater In Monterey Suspended
(BCN) MONTEREY, Calif. The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended the search for a missing 47-year-old man whose boat was found drifting unmanned about half a mile northwest of Monterey Harbor late Saturday afternoon, Lt. Amy Marrs reported Sunday.

A Monterey station duty crew spotted the 21-foot sailboat going around in circles at about 5:25 p.m. and went to check on it, Marrs said.

They found a backpack belonging to a man named Christopher Haugen on board, Marrs reported.

The Coast Guard Station Monterey and Air Station San Francisco, along with the Monterey Police Department and the Pacific Grove Fire Department searched for Haugen for more than six hours before suspending the search at around midnight, Marrs reported.

The predicted survival time had passed and the case was transferred to the Monterey Police Department.

It is now being investigated as a missing person case, Marrs said.

According to Marrs, Coast Guard officials estimate survival time depending on a number of factors, including water temperature, how much clothing the person is wearing and the weather.

They also consider the person’s overall physical condition, age and survival skills.

Haugen’s mother and girlfriend have been contacted, Marrs said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom