Miserable cenote experience out of Cancun.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Estrella, and welcome to ScubaBoard. Sorry about your experience, but at least it can serve as a lesson in dive trip planning, especially these cenote cavern tours. There are threads here in which people have recommended specific guides to hire, including the above-mentioned Natalie Gibb. I think the lesson is to hire a private guide by name rather than to book with a dive op and let them assign whoever they wish to guide you. A search of some old threads reveals a few others in addition to Natalie who have been recommended (though no idea whether they are still in the guiding business): Nicolas at CenoteXperience, Eric Burgess in Tulum (I used him), Lannie at ProtecTulum, and Bill Phillips at Speleotech. Most of those are in the Tulum or Playa del Carmen area, but I suspect there are people in the Cancun area who have been recommended. Chalk it up to experience, and book a more bespoke experience next time!

I see several issues here on both sides of the field. One, people really need to quit diving overhead environments without training, and with only 25 dives? That dive is a trust me dive from the start.

Two, if the DM is making you uncomfortable, you need to have the balls to stand up for yourself and call the dive or smack the crap out of him. Either way, you let another person put you in danger and you were too timid to do anything about it. That’s a recipe for disaster as you start doing bigger dives. Peer pressure doesn’t get any better in this sport.

Yes, your DM sucked, but in my opinion, you shoulnd’t have been there in the first place, and then when the DM started to suck, you needed to stand up for yourself and put an end to it.

I've never gone diving in the cenotes nor any other overhead environment, other than the odd swim through, so really have no direct experience that relates to this situation. However, if I was having trouble equalizing and the DM was not acknowledging the issue and giving me the time and space to work things out, I would have scrubbed the dive. There is always another day, another dive and, if necessary, another dive shop

I agree with you all, and will be much more likely to bail if any of this kinda bs ever starts happening again. At 25 dives I'm kinda too new to know what I don't know, but I don't think being unassertive is a good strategy for any diver.

At 25 dives I'm kinda too new to know what I don't know, but I don't think being unassertive is a good strategy for any diver.

Most of us have stories/experiences related to not speaking up when we were starting out. Don't beat yourself up about it. There are a lot of great professionals in this industry, but as you've discovered, some not so great ones.

I still haven't heard a plausible theory related to my original question of 'what was this guy doing'? He obviously wasn't rescuing me since it started right at the beginning of the dive...he wasn't concerned about my health status or he would have asked a question or two after we came up...he wasn't preventing me from hitting the bottom, since I wasn't doing that...he wasn't teaching me anything...and I really don't think he was just doing it to be an *******, because I think that would have come along with some other rudeness up on the surface. That's the part I still wish I could understand.

I still haven't heard a plausible theory related to my original question of 'what was this guy doing'? He obviously wasn't rescuing me since it started right at the beginning of the dive...he wasn't concerned about my health status or he would have asked a question or two after we came up...he wasn't preventing me from hitting the bottom, since I wasn't doing that...he wasn't teaching me anything...and I really don't think he was just doing it to be an *******, because I think that would have come along with some other rudeness up on the surface. That's the part I still wish I could understand.
I don’t think any of us have any idea. His actions make no sense at all

As a new diver, I've learned that I learn the most when things go wrong....my fault or someone else's. Like you, I've posted situations here on SB and receive a ton of feedback and advice. The most important lessons I've learned at this very early stage in my diving career:

1. What a Trust Me Dive is and how to recognize it from the beginning. I know how to deal with it when I have a strong buddy with me (my hubby.) But I've had dives where I'm paired with a stranger (or not given a buddy at all.) That's where I'm practicing lessons #2

2. Be assertive. Ask questions. Take the time I need to prepare and get comfortable. Double or triple check equipment set up by others. If I don't understand directions or part of the briefing, due to language or accents, ask DM to repeat. If I'm not comfortable, don't do the dive.

3. Practice and learn continuously. We head to the pool before our dive trips to go through basics. I read these boards, review manuals, watch videos, etc.

4. Stay in shape. Cardio, strength training, yoga, meditation. I don't do as much as I'd like, but it's important for so many reasons and definitely helps to enjoy diving more.

5. Every DM is different. Some are incredible human beings, skilled instructors, passionate about the sport and environment. Others are clueless, basic tour guides, and/or burned out. Most are somewhere in between...although I've been blessed with some great ones. Bottom line, don't assume anything and remember #6

6. Ultimately I'm responsible for myself. Not my instructor, DM, or even buddy. I'm very new at this, absolutely love it, and have a ton to learn and experience. I'm grateful for the teachers who have come my way, in various forms, and look forward to new adventures.

I'm glad you're safe and am sorry you had such a crummy experience. I would not be happy having someone hold me or touch me continuously during a dive, when not needed. Would make me feel out of control. Sounds like you stayed calm and did the best you could do in the situation. Thanks for sharing your experience for others to learn from.

Maybe, with the whole "got to get your mind right." buildup after an uncomfortable predive, it was the dm that was uncomfortable and had no business guiding competent divers.
If the op could stop decent, hover and convey her issue calmly, let alone do the dive as it happened, I think she would have been fine.
Now she knows to make better choices.
This case, she should have ascended on her own to correct the issue. Once you feel the squeeze, you're going to be forcing it.
Better to go up a few ft. and ease the squeeze , best to start equalizing at the surface and every foot or two thereafter.
I like to exhale fully as I submerge and equalize every couple seconds. The next big breath slows me down, horizontal from the surface as I just pull the butt dump and lay back on my wing.
I've only forced equalizing once and it was far more painful than I expected.
Not sure if laying on my back helps but that's what works every time for me.
Too bad hubby didn't set him straight but I understand not wanting to escalate a bizarre situation.
Thanks for sharing....

Back
Top Bottom