Minor leak from Z2 2nd stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metajames

Registered
Reaction score
I own a B2 with a Z2 backup that was purchased about a year ago. My wife has been diving this set for about 30-40 dives and she loves it.

I was soaking the pressurized reg in a tub of water after our last outing and noticed a very slow leak coming from the exhaust of the Z2. It would "burp" a fairly sizable bubble every 20-30 seconds or so, the cracking effort adjustment was dialed all the way in. I did unwind and rewind the cracking effort adjustment knob but that didn't change anything. In hindsight I should have opened it all the way and let it sit to see if the bubbles got worse.

I checked the cracking pressure and it reads about 0.7 inches of water on the magnehelic gauge with the adjustment knob all the way in, IP is set to 140 PSI.

Is this just a simple adjustment of the orifice from the hose end of the barrel? Could there be orifice damage? The reg has not even seen it's first service yet.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:
It makes little sense that the cracking pressure would be .7" with the knob all the way in. Test with the knob out in the diving position and see what you get.

You want to set the cracking pressure when the adjustment knob is all the way out (easiest breathing). As turning it in makes it more difficult. The cracking pressure should be set between 1.0"-1.4"

However, the cracking pressure is not the issue but more than likely the orifice needs adjustment or the seat replaced. To do that you need an inline adjustment tool. I unscrew the orifice until it starts leaking, turn until it stops, then go a 1/4 turn past.

Lacking the inline tool just use a regular screw driver and given the orifice a 1/4 turn. Reassemble the hose and test in the water.

Back
Top Bottom