Minor Ear Infection - ABX to dive time 33 hours??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pressure change within the first 33 feet is the first thing that I thought of... but then I thought that this is only first third of that 33 feet. I guess I will equalize early & often, not force it and ascend if it doesn't work out. Or maybe just snorkel on the top, ha!

Well, there's nothing magical about 33 feet, that's just your standard 2 atmosphere pressure that makes calculations easier. What hurts is the relative change in pressure. So in shallow water, the change in pressure per foot is greater than in deep water:

10 feet = .29 ATA
20 feet = .59 ATA

300 feet = 8.85 ATA
310 feet = 9.14 ATA

Descending 10 feet from 10 to 20 feet results in about a doubling of the ambient pressure on your ear, but descending 10 feet from 300 to 310 is about a 3% increase in ambient pressure.

Thanks for the doc recommendations - I'm assuming that these are ENTs with knowledge on our diving issues?

Hah! No idea, they were just the ENT docs specializing in ears that were within 100 miles of your zip code. I don't know any of them personally, and they probably wouldn't specialize in dive medicine. But for someone to check your ear, they should be OK if they are willing to see you. If you want a dive doc, you could try the DAN referral line.

Just a followup... I survived with an intact eardrum. :) No pain during the dive and I didn't have any problem equalizing, although I do still have a feeling of fullness in my ear. I've had that happen over the years (before diving, FWIW) where I've had that fullness sensation for a week or two and then it gradually goes away. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Just a followup... I survived with an intact eardrum. :) No pain during the dive and I didn't have any problem equalizing, although I do still have a feeling of fullness in my ear. I've had that happen over the years (before diving, FWIW) where I've had that fullness sensation for a week or two and then it gradually goes away. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Good news!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom