minimum surface interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't you just love the USN tables with the cheater numbers on the RNT side?!!! Man I do! (one less "in my head" math thing to do)

Gotcrypt, everyone who refused to plot the dive profile that you proposed had your best intrest at heart. It's like this; your life depends upon the decisions that you make while diving. Learning to read a dive table will enable you to plan, calculate, and solve any unknowns for any dive or dives that you need or want to make.

Once you learn how to use the dive tables you'll be able to write out an actual or planned dive profile in less than a minute.

Dive computers are great. I dive with one... but I also carry a USN no-stop table on the back of my slate. You can bet your mother-in-law's underpants that I can use the USN tables to save a dive (should my cumputer croak) and have the maximum amount of underwater fun!!!!!

Maximum down time....Yeah, that's what I'm after!

gotcrypt:
i was hoping somebody might walk me thru it i am taking naui any furthe help would be nice i am having trouble with some of the tables

My wife is taking her NAUI Open Water course.

NAUI is now using the RGBM (Reduced Gradient Bubble Model) air tables.

These tables could not be any simpler.
The minimum surface interval is always 1 hour.

The NAUI RGBM air table provides consists of three main sections labeled as shown below

DIVE ONE DIVE TWO DIVE THREE

Each of the sections mentioned above is comprised 2 sub-sections

MAX DEPTHS MDT (Maximum Dive Time)

The MAX DEPTHS section is broken down into the following two sub-sections

fsw (feet of sea water) msw (meters of sea water)

If you use the table values for sea water in a fresh water environment you will just be diving a little more conservatively.

1 Atmosphere of sea water = 33 feet
1 Atmosphere of fresh water = 34 feet

In other words, sea water is 2.5% denser than fresh water.

What is it you are confused about?

Hasn't your instructor switched over to the RGBM tables? If not, you might want to ask the instructor why he/she has not switched since NAUI has switched to using the RGBM air tables and the exams are based on the RGBM air tables.

Minimum surface interval is always 1 hour??!! Great...except for those of us with one tide to make two dives on...I can't wait an hour before getting back in the water unless I really feel like getting swept out into the North Pacific. If I'm going to use tables, I'll stick to my RDP, thanks.

Cheers,
Austin

Actually as Naui instructors, we have the option of using the standard naui table, or the dciem - rgbm tables. We just do the standard tables as they are cheaper - just one table to deal with, and when it comes down to it, I realize that most folks will simply use a computer anyway. I'm not going to make a student buy a bunch of stuff they will never really use after they get out of the class.

I've found that teaching tables is not that difficult - and most people get a handle on it with a little instruction - but I also found, people don't remember them.

When I first put out my Computerized Table Tutor, I had a registration card in it that people would fill out and send in. One of the questions was level of cert... just taking class, OW, Advanced, etc. Turns out the biggest buyers of the software were Divemaster candidates that had to study up to pass a dive table test as they've been diving with tables so long, they could not remember how to run different table problems.

I'm a big fan of education... thus the software I wrote, but also, with fear of flaming - I don't even have a set of tables in my bag unless I'm teaching. I trust my computer to do the math for me.

As a course director, I have issued a lot of table tests to OW students, divemasters, instructors, etc. As a dive shop owner, I've sold a lot of dive computers. I can tell you without a doubt, there have been far more missed table questions on tests that I have seen than computers that stopped working. So my unscientific research shows me that computers work out better than tables... But then again, I use a calculator to balance my checkbook instead of doing the math too... I'm a rebel!

Excuse me... I'm going to run around my house with scissors now...

3-Ring Octopus:
Minimum surface interval is always 1 hour??!! Great...except for those of us with one tide to make two dives on...I can't wait an hour before getting back in the water unless I really feel like getting swept out into the North Pacific. If I'm going to use tables, I'll stick to my RDP, thanks.

Cheers,
Austin

I agree with you.

My wife's comment was how often do they actual have an hour surface interval on the dive boat?

I also agree with Scubatoys, I always use my dive computer.

scubatoys:
Actually as Naui instructors, we have the option of using the standard naui table, or the dciem - rgbm tables. We just do the standard tables as they are cheaper - just one table to deal with, and when it comes down to it, I realize that most folks will simply use a computer anyway. I'm not going to make a student buy a bunch of stuff they will never really use after they get out of the class.

I've found that teaching tables is not that difficult - and most people get a handle on it with a little instruction - but I also found, people don't remember them.

When I first put out my Computerized Table Tutor, I had a registration card in it that people would fill out and send in. One of the questions was level of cert... just taking class, OW, Advanced, etc. Turns out the biggest buyers of the software were Divemaster candidates that had to study up to pass a dive table test as they've been diving with tables so long, they could not remember how to run different table problems.

I'm a big fan of education... thus the software I wrote, but also, with fear of flaming - I don't even have a set of tables in my bag unless I'm teaching. I trust my computer to do the math for me.

As a course director, I have issued a lot of table tests to OW students, divemasters, instructors, etc. As a dive shop owner, I've sold a lot of dive computers. I can tell you without a doubt, there have been far more missed table questions on tests that I have seen than computers that stopped working. So my unscientific research shows me that computers work out better than tables... But then again, I use a calculator to balance my checkbook instead of doing the math too... I'm a rebel!

Excuse me... I'm going to run around my house with scissors now...

I agree with you.

In my wife's case she did not have to buy more than one table. The table provided with the book is the NAUI RGBM air table as opposed the the standard dive tables that I learned on.

I have not used the dive tables since I took my OW course.
They went over the EAN RGBM tables in my NAUI Nitrox course.
I am now taking the NAUI Master Diver course and have not had to deal with tables in that course.

gotcrypt:
my question is what would the minimum surface interval required to avoid stage decompression after a dive to 70 feet of freshwater for 35 mins, followed by a dive to 55 feet of fresh water for 23 minutes be
gotcrypt

Post the profile of the first dive (e.g. average depths and ascent profile).

ronbeau:
IIn my wife's case she did not have to buy more than one table. The table provided with the book is the NAUI RGBM air table as opposed the the standard dive tables that I learned on.

Ooops! My bad... I was getting my acronyms all confused... I've done so much table study of all types, and although you wrote RGBM I read DCIEM... they kinda' rhyme:demented: .

Back
Top Bottom