Minimizing currents in Indo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
What I think I learned form my last trip is that currents in Indo are driven on a day-to-day basis by phases of the Moon and a hour-to-hour (or even minute-to-minute) basis by the tides.

Check out my thinking please:

Supposedly the highest chances for strong currents are just after the full moon and the new Moon. The best moon phases are quarter moons. (When I get back Im going to read up on why).

On a hourly or minute basis there is going to be a large amount of water moving with the tides. Supposedly the best time for least current is the times mid-way between the lowest tide and the high tide. (when I get back I'm going to read up on why).

But anyway, to reduce current on trips I should be looking for the times mid-way between full and new moon (which is itself a two week period.) Since dive trips are most likely two weeks, we are not going to be able to avoid these high current periods. But at least we can know when they are. I am thinking about this more for my wife than for me.

Thanks,

- Bill

What I think I learned form my last trip is that currents in Indo are driven on a day-to-day basis by phases of the Moon and a hour-to-hour (or even minute-to-minute) basis by the tides.

Supposedly the highest chances for strong currents are just after the full moon and the new Moon. The best moon phases are quarter moons. (When I get back Im going to read up on why).

On a hourly or minute basis there is going to be a large amount of water moving with the tides. Supposedly the best time for least current is the times mid-way between the lowest tide and the high tide. (when I get back I'm going to read up on why).

But anyway, to reduce current on trips I should be looking for the times mid-way between full and new moon (which is itself a two week period.) Since dive trips are most likely two weeks, we are not going to be able to avoid these high current periods. But at least we can know when they are. I am thinking about this more for my wife than for me.

Thanks,

- Bill
Not quite. The least tidal currents are the time right around high and low tide, not halfway between them. The winds and waves also have an influence on the currents. And it is all modified (both stronger and weaker) by the presence of coastlines, islands, and bottom topography. Not to mention the strength and location of large-scale currents like the Gulf Stream and similar "permanent" currents. The instantaneous combination of all that is not predictable far in advance. Sorry.

Thanks,

- Bill

Currents are affected by many factors. I commonly check out new dive sites at slack high or slack low tide.
The relations between the timing of high and low tide and the times of slack water or maximum current is not simple.

In areas without tide gauges (e.g., Indonesia), far-field tide gauges and experience is key for determining the timing of slack tide. The tides vary greatly, based in coastal topography, bathymetry, detailed shape of bays and inlets, etc. I worked for many years in southeast Alaska and I had many close calls determining the timing of high and low tide and the time of slack tide - here I was lucky to survive.
Many close calls and mistakes are provided a basis for good judgment.
Experience will prepare you for unpredictable currents.

I have a lot of respect for the power of water and the Indonesian through flow.
After many years of diving and working in Indonesia, I am still learning. On a side note, I prefer diving with strong currents - this provides deep water nutrient flux with schooling fish. Best, Charlie

I would say "in general" the best time for diving is just before the high or low tide, but ... specifically each site have their own characteristics, some times a site is better dived at flood while another will be preferably dived at ebb. Plus add the swell/surge factor in shallow sites and it will complexify your dive scheduling.
My hint that works at all times : select the most experienced guide/operator who has been diving the same reef for years, he will advise the better conditions to dive EACH site. That's why I am not a big believer in foreign guides or safaris, i usually go with the longest standing operation/guide even though it may cost me slightly more.

I would say "in general" the best time for diving is just before the high or low tide, but ... specifically each site have their own characteristics, some times a site is better dived at flood while another will be preferably dived at ebb. Plus add the swell/surge factor in shallow sites and it will complexify your dive scheduling.
My hint that works at all times : select the most experienced guide/operator who has been diving the same reef for years, he will advise the better conditions to dive EACH site. That's why I am not a big believer in foreign guides or safaris, i usually go with the longest standing operation/guide even though it may cost me slightly more.

"Complexify" -- I love it!

That advice seems to make some sense. Although, the longest standing operator might not be the longest standing DM, but one would think that is most cases the information would be passed on.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Bill

Well-stated. For a successful and safe LoB, an experienced cruise director that knows the local conditions and dives sites will make or break a dive trip. They set the standards for the DM/guides. A good and well-thought out dive briefing goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom