Minimalist single tank rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JollyWaffl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't know if you have tried single SM and if it that is the case, you must not have tried in the best conditions.
People who use "counter-balance" weight system are also not diving with the proper set-up.
With a S80 or stell 10L (72cf for you I think), you don't need any ajustment.
My wife and I, we have been diving rec that way for years and it is a no brainer.
Travelling, we take a bungee for the top and a d-ring we will put at the weight belt we get at destination and that is it.
We also have a Deco wing and a modified MSR bag if the conditions call for it.
We wear 3min or DS. For 3min, no weight needed (but sometime I take 2kg with a S80) and for the DS, enough weight to sink it. After, we all have an integrated BCD which it called "lungs" and that is enough :)
Yes vintage diving is also really good and really minimalist but frankly single SM is not unconfortable at all but of course YMMV

I tried this in a pool recently (sans exposure protection) because I think that sounds fantastic for travel. It works, but with a full AL80 I still list if I entirely stop moving. That lessened as I drained the tank somewhat, and I expect I'd spin slightly in the opposite direction with an empty, depending on net buoyancy of tank + 1st stage.

I love rec sidemount, but specifically for its balance and stability, and that seems to be somewhat absent with single tank. I used to dive single + DS, but there at least you can move air around in the suit to compensate, and if I'm traveling with my DS then I can probably fit a full harness as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Top Bottom