Minimalist Setup for Small River Diving (~15ft or less)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That massive wing and all that exposed bungee is giving me the heebee jeebees. It would be so easy for a branch to get stuck in that sandwich or hook on a couple of bungees.

I would try to find a 24# wing and lose the second plate. Put some weights on the sides of your cambands next to the plate if your need more weight

That massive wing and all that exposed bungee is giving me the heebee jeebees. It would be so easy for a branch to get stuck in that sandwich or hook on a couple of bungees.

I would try to find a 24# wing and lose the second plate. Put some weights on the sides of your cambands next to the plate if your need more weight
Alright, that's a legit critique. I'm very hesitant to invest more into my backplate setup, when I've spent a LOT of money on scuba-equipment lately and long-term and heavy focused on side-mount. I have an idea for how to address the exposed bungee, but want to sit on it a couple days to see if I come up with a better idea.

An issue I have had putting weight on the cambands, is that I become back heavy & if I stop finning, I quickly flip face-up like a dead fish. At least this is a persistent problem, when wearing a 5mm wetsuit at shallower depths. Currently (and before the addition of those bungees), I put the extra weight on the waist-band, which is a little annoying, but less annoying than flipping over.

An issue I have had putting weight on the cambands, is that I become back heavy & if I stop finning, I quickly flip face-up like a dead fish. At least this is a persistent problem, when wearing a 5mm wetsuit at shallower depths. Currently (and before the addition of those bungees), I put the extra weight on the waist-band, which is a little annoying, but less annoying than flipping over.
That's fine. I thought the two backplates was in part because you wanted more weight on your back. But I just reread your post and now I see the outer one is aluminum.

Maybe you can find a used wing? Or one of these: 25lbs Diving Donut Wing Scuba BCD Single Tank Compensator Buoyancy Equipment | eBay

That's fine. I thought the two backplates was in part because you wanted more weight on your back. But I just reread your post and now I see the outer one is aluminum.

Maybe you can find a used wing? Or one of these: 25lbs Diving Donut Wing Scuba BCD Single Tank Compensator Buoyancy Equipment | eBay
I do keep an eye on the used-market for deals quite frequently, and occasionally check for a single-tank-wing.

However, (1) my current intent is to focus on sidemount, which might mean my backplate setup will be collecting dust soon and (2) I've spent an absurd amount of money on scuba equipment, supplies, and classes recently. If I'm to throw $150 at something in the near future, it'll be sidemount or classes.

This is my most minimal setup, starts at 1:42

:thumb: this is what I do also sometime to play around a shore reef. You can also turn the weight belt to follow bouyancy of the tank and even clip the neck at a bungee on your wrist :) :)
Sometime is good to play around (when you know what u are doing) :)

Here is my river setup when I dive solo
BP/W
One reg on a short hose
SPG

full.jpg

In my area, the rivers are fast and the visibility is poor. Meaning, you can get stuffed under an undercut rock before you even see the rock coming at you.

If the current is slight and/or viz is good, then it's a lot safer.

Be prepared for entanglement.

I tend to dive rivers heavily overweighted with easily-ditchable weight. The current really throws you around otherwise. Even in fast rivers, you can get out of the current if you plaster yourself right on the bottom. But you need to be weighted or you get blown out.

Oh, yeah, and I wear a helmet because of the rocks and fast current.

full.jpg

Here is my solo river setup
BP/W
One reg
SPG

View attachment 668218

In my area, the rivers are fast and the visibility is poor. Meaning, you can get stuffed under a rock before you even see the rock coming at you.

I tend to dive rivers heavily overweighted with easily-ditchable weight. The current really throws you around otherwise. Even in fast rivers, you can get out of the current if you plaster yourself right on the bottom. But you need to be weighted or you get blown out.
I'm giving you the upvote just for the Mares reg :) Is that a 32 or 42 with the Proton Ice?

Here is my river setup when I dive solo
BP/W
One reg on a short hose
SPG

View attachment 668218

In my area, the rivers are fast and the visibility is poor. Meaning, you can get stuffed under an undercut rock before you even see the rock coming at you.

Oh, yeah, and I wear a helmet because of the rocks and fast current.

View attachment 668219
I like the setup, it's very clean.

I made myself a DIY scuba-helmet a couple weeks ago from an $11 hard-hat. I replaces all the padding & straps, added a go-pro mount, and 2x light-mounts. I believe the current is mild, but I'll make sure to also wear it for the potential surprise head-bumps and cool-footage I might encounter along the way.

It appears we have split opinions on normal vs overweighted (and ditchable), so I think I'll have to try both! Sigh, I can't believe you guys are making me do more dives!

Why not, ditch the whole back mount idea and sling two pony’s? Tucked in close where you can see them and keep them under control, mini side mount. A much smaller wing, like an 18lb would serve without much trouble. Texas rivers tend to be very slow moving but chock full of hazards so as said before be very careful and keep enough air reserve to work through a later hazard encounter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom