Mini-Season is Far More Dangerous than Shark Feeding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then how do you remove offending objects from the disposal?

We remind those objects that we don't talk that way in this home, and politely ask them to leave. It doesn't happen very often. We have a very tolerant disposal.

MB:
That was on page 73 of the advanced disposal manual... we only got to page 27... :babycrawl:

These things come with a manual?

Wading into this debate with wide-eyed naivete, so please be gentle. Genuine query: What makes mini lobster season dangerous? I ask, not to question statistics, or compare to baited shark dives, which interest me not at all, but because if the calendar ever works, I'd like to lobster hunt. I like lobsters, sorry - but not really. I have read that mini season is dangerous, but I've never read what is killing people. Are people ignoring their gauges and running out of air? Ignoring decompression limits? Venturing into overhead environments without proper training? Is there even a common theme in the injuries and fatalities? Again, I am NOT playing devil's advocate, I just don't understand the dynamics behind the danger of mini-season.

What they said....this is when the folks who only dive a few days a year come out using gear that been sitting on the garage floor for months, and plunge in to chase bugs without any practice, refresher, or warm up. The run out of air, dive too deep for their mix and convulse, come up too fast and get bent or embolized, get tangled and trapped underwater, and sometimes just exert themselves into medical problems that may be survivable on land, but less so at the surface waiting for pickup a couple miles offshore. This year we lost a diver. I can recall in the not too distant past losing 4 or 5 during miniseason just between Palm Beach and Key West.

At the same time the equivalent is happening on the surface with boaters who rarely get out, and are now in crowded waters full of other drivers just like them. Put divers surfacing into the mix and bad things can happen.

I agree.

We will all die at some point. I just hope it is in a manner that is both dignified and appalling to the civilized world.

So there WILL be sheep involved?

Aren't they always?

---------- Post added August 4th, 2014 at 03:34 PM ----------

What they said....this is when the folks who only dive a few days a year come out using gear that been sitting on the garage floor for months, and plunge in to chase bugs without any practice, refresher, or warm up. The run out of air, dive too deep for their mix and convulse, come up too fast and get bent or embolized, get tangled and trapped underwater, and sometimes just exert themselves into medical problems that may be survivable on land, but less so at the surface waiting for pickup a couple miles offshore. This year we lost a diver. I can recall in the not too distant past losing 4 or 5 during miniseason just between Palm Beach and Key West.

At the same time the equivalent is happening on the surface with boaters who rarely get out, and are now in crowded waters full of other drivers just like them. Put divers surfacing into the mix and bad things can happen.

Rouge boaters are the reason we carry full size dive flags, extra bright flash lights(spot lights), can air horns and some carry fire arms...

I have personally put the boat I was driving between my divers and incoming yachts so they didn't get run over, wasn't until I could see in the bridge they diverted course...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom