Mini season death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trtldvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
A 55 year old man from Miami died while lobstering in the upper keys. At this time all I know is that he was in about 25 ft of water and surfaced with about 500 psi. As I get more details I will post them. I was patroling off of Big Pine. Thankfully, no incidents in that area.

Safe dives to all
trtldvr
www.divealive.org

Sending thoughts and prayers that way....

Miami-Dade man becomes Keys’ first lobster mini-season fatality

By KeysNet Staff

Posted - Wednesday, July 30, 2008 02:15 PM EDT

A Miami-Dade County man became the Keys’ first fatality of the 2008 lobster mini-season.
xxxxxx, 54, from North Bay Village in Miami-Dade County died while diving for lobster. Paramedics pronounced him dead at 8:58 a.m. July 30, according to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.
The man was diving with four others on a private vessel about four miles off shore at Little Conch Reef. He reportedly surfaced in distress, was pulled into the boat he was traveling on and the others on the boat performed CPR as the boat was driven to shore. It was met on Bonito Lane in Rock Harbor by paramedics, according to sheriff's office spokeswoman Deputy Becky Herrin.
An autopsy will be done to determine the cause of his death

I heard this over the police radio

My condolences to his friends and family. It is a terrible loss for them.

From what I just read there were two deaths today and two divers went missing but were found later on.

2 Divers Die On Day 1 Of Lobster Mini-Season - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami
Missing Divers Rescued Off Port Canaveral - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

What is it about bug hunting that leads to people dying?

Condolences to both their families and friends. As for what "leads people to dying"? I cannot say for sure but I would expect that when people are down there "hunting", I would suspect that many are so focused on getting something that they lose focus of their surroundings and the little things....like how much air do I have. They would also blow through a fair bit of air (again I would suspect) as the anticipation builds and the excitement of trying to coerce your prey out from under something (or anything they find exciting). Even though they are not hunting large game, I would expect a "Lobster Mini Season" dive NOT to be like a nice relaxing dive over a Bonaire reef. This is definitely not from experieince but is what I could see unfolding.

I've heard a few divers who lobster say that they have to be careful because they do get distracted and keep thinking one more lobster and I'll go up.

My thoughts and prayers to the loved ones.

Another Death. I'm reading the sun-sentinel on page one titled snapping them up. Robert Canada,48, of Lake Worth Fl. was diving just north of Boynton Inlet Fl. on Wednesday, at about 11am when he signaled to other divers he was having trouble. Those divers sent out a distress call and two off duty Delray Beach police officers who were diving for lobster came to help. The found Canada at the bottom in about 60' of water, dead from a possible heart attack.

Back
Top Bottom