Mini review - Aeris EX Lite Travel BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danpass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I couldn't resist the price for my first BC. In addition, thru Amazon, I could 'pay' with AMEX points lol.

This came thru LeisurePro, an Amazon partner (supplier?) and at the time was US174.95 (and still is as of 7-29-12)

I did as much reading as I could but there was little info and even fewer photos concerning the BC.

It came down to price and design based on the Aeris webpage.

So, photos below, and my input based on a recent dive. This particular BC is a medium and lists at 34lbs buoyancy.

My OW certification was done using the shop's rental gear, such as the Mares jacket BC's. I never did like them and found them 'stuffy' and confining. Inflating the jacket at the surface was constricting, due to the design of course, but I just didn't like it.

I don't have a tank so I couldn't test it on land such as "walking around the boat" but this brings me to the first design aspect that I liked: integrated quick release weight pockets on the belt and trim weight pockets on the cam band included. So I put weight in and it was fine on land. Not critical of course but it bode well for comfort in the water lol. The quick release pockets are just over the kidneys

So I strap in, humongous stride into the water, and it almost feels like I'm about to go snorkeling. Barely notice the BC, very free in the water. I've never used a BP/W but from what I've been reading this design looks to be about as close as it gets.

I found myself very foot heavy with the jacket BC, even after pulling it down as far as I could to my butt lol. I'd like to say that this BC solved that for me but I also had a full wetsuit vs a shorty this time. Regardless, horizontal trim was much smoother with this BC. I had wondered how not having a crotch strap would work out. Fortunately it turned out to be a non-issue for me.

In terms of trim there is a right rear/bottom dump valve and a left shoulder dump valve which utilizes the inflator hose as the pull 'string'. It takes a strong pull to activate the valve and it ended up dumping a ton of air (I messed up weight estimation for the full suit lol). The rear valve was easier to finesse but it was a long reach for me. I suspect with further usage I can refine the shoulder dump activation and work on the rear reach, otherwise I'll just add some string lol.

There are no pockets beyond the weight quick release ones which was perfectly fine with me as I like the minimalist nature and it keeps me from continually adding 'stuff'.

Click any photo for the supersize view.

Perhaps you can garner some perspective from this video screenshot:

Last edited:
I've no experience with it, though it does seem like a nice package. It has a "big brother" for about $15 more.

I'm mystified by that metal bracket on the cam strap. I can only assume that the tank fits between it and the wing back. As configured, that would put the two pouches outboard. If filled with weights, you would want them positioned as close to the wing back as possible. This would be more stable. To keep them in place, belt clips would do the trick. For example, this would work well.
Innovative Universal Diving Weight Clip WB0204 with reviews at scuba.com
Mine are black though I cannot recall where I purchased them.

....I'm mystified by that metal bracket on the cam strap. I can only assume that the tank fits between it and the wing back...

Are you sure you are not mistaking "that metal bracket" for the rubber grip - in the photo it's all bunched up (has all the horizontal grooves in it)?

Are you sure you are not mistaking "that metal bracket" for the rubber grip - in the photo it's all bunched up (has all the horizontal grooves in it)?

Yes, I thought it might be rubber, but to me it just looked too much like metal composition. Perhaps I was experiencing a mental lapse. I assume it's positioned outboard of the tank.

The 'bracket' is the rubber anti slip.

The weight are up against the bladder, outside the tank and the pocket strap has Velcro inside that mates with Velcro on the cam band.

You can click any photo for the supersize view.

Nice photos and review, danpass! My girlfriend and I are new to diving and have already found that most BCDs fit her very poorly. I am considering ordering the Aeris EX Lite travel for her. I am wondering about the following...

• we have only used jacket type BCDs. how do you tend to lean (forwards, backwards, neutral/upright) on the surface with this particular wing type?
  • does it feel like the backplate is on the longer side, or shorter side (more female friendly)?
Thanks in advance!

With the right amount of air I'm ok at the surface, any more and it's face time lol. Strangely enough with the jacket and extra air that would face plant me too.

I'm 5'7" and the backplate is invisible to me.

With the right amount of air I'm ok at the surface, any more and it's face time lol. Strangely enough with the jacket and extra air that would face plant me too.

danpass,

If you find you are "face planting", simply arch your back to force yourself back - once there and relaxed, you will float comfortably.

I'm 5'7" and the backplate is invisible to me.

Cool, thanks a lot!

Hi Dan, Thanks for your review. I bought the Aeris ExLite about 2 months ago after much deliberation. I've put a few of those below for anybody interested in this bcd to see.

1. Documented Weight Capacity : LeisurePro and few other online places that sell this bcd indicated that weight capacity was 20+10 lbs=30 (front and wing respectively). However when I received the bcd, the manual stated that we shouldn't be putting more then 7lbs in each of the front pockets bringing total capacity to 14+10=24. Hence I'm not sure what the 'true' capacity is. It doesn't really effect me too much I typically max out at 24 pounds. Worst case I carry two pounds on a belt.

2. Suitability for California waters: While most of my dive experience has been in tropical waters I do live in northern california and have done a few Monterey trips (cold water). A few of the dive and rental shops I talked indicated that I need a proper high capcity bcd. The other comment they made was that travel bcds could not take the 'monterey conditions', I think implying that the bcd would get worn out faster. However, nothing I found online said anything about this. Why would cold water be harsher then warm water.

3. Lift capacity in cold water : There have been innumerable arguments about weight capacity and cold water. If you take specs, the aeris ex lite has 32 pounds of lift. Being a short guy medium build guy I require about 21-26 pounds with a 7mm wetsuit (cold water). Add another 4-5 pounds with equipment (over-estimating). The argument here is that if I abandon the bcd with all my stuff at the surface the gear would sink. Technically true, but I don't see myself doing that in most situations.

The other warning I've received is that I might find myself being overweighted during the dive such that 32lbs of lift may not be sufficient to lift me up. My thoughts were that this is not really valid argument against this bcd because I always have the power of my legs to help me ascend. Worst case I abandon my weights if my legs do not suffice (in the most unlikely of scenarios).

These were my thoughts while researching this bcd. Thought I should share them. Having said all this, I test drove this BCD at Point Lobos, ca and did not have any problems. Its small , convenient and easy to manage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom