Mini buoy markers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Namchief

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am trying to find mini buoy markers ones that I could put into my bcd and take down to 30-40 feet, so I could mark a location temporarly on the fly. the lil joes seem too big so I am going to experment with plastic 1.75oz McCormick spice containers that are recessed in the middle with a weight super glued to the inside so only unravel till at the surface. line wraped around the lil bottle and then lead at the end wraped around bottle so it wont unwind I am going to epoxy the lids shut. Does anyone think this will work?

That might work, but they might crush because of water pressure. Maybe if you filled them with that spray filler foam stuff it would work better.

Namchief:
I am trying to find mini buoy markers ones that I could put into my bcd and take down to 30-40 feet, so I could mark a location temporarly on the fly. the lil joes seem too big so I am going to experment with plastic 1.75oz McCormick spice containers that are recessed in the middle with a weight super glued to the inside so only unravel till at the surface. line wraped around the lil bottle and then lead at the end wraped around bottle so it wont unwind I am going to epoxy the lids shut. Does anyone think this will work?

I've been wondering about this as well - I was thinking about a fishing float (the small orange ones made of foam that are torpedo shaped)

kidspot:
I've been wondering about this as well - I was thinking about a fishing float (the small orange ones made of foam that are torpedo shaped)

I was thinking of a large fishing bobber with a lead sinker as its anchor. That should work.

try using pellet floats.. sold for commercial fishing purposes... I would thread one onto a dowel or similar, with a weight on the bottom and a small flag on the top so that you could see them better in any waves...

You can make an excellent temporary marker as follows:
Buy one of those heavy, thick childrens ballons that have a rubber band attached. Thr child blows them up and then uses it as a sorta tethered 1.25 ft diameter bounce ball.. Don't know what the heck the ballons are called,, they're pretty thick rubber and might be 3 for $1.00.

cut a 2-inch piece of speargun rubber tubing and insert in deflated ballon.
Use dental floss and tie a knot(s) around the mouth of the ballon to seal the ballon around the piece of tubbing.
Use a small nail or aluminum rivet with a large head to plug the hole.
Tie some thin cheap kite line to the ballon or the end of the peice of rubber securely.
cut a 3 inch piece of 3/4" pvc pipe or something for a spindle.
Rap the desired amount of kite string around the spindle.
Then wrap the tied ballon gently around the spindle on top of the kite string.
Hold the entire thing together with a few cheap rubber bands.

To deploy:
remove rubber bands.
Remove nail from rubber tubing with teeth and then hold it in your hand.
Blow a small puff of air into the speargun rubber tubing and thus into ballon and block with tongue.
Stick nail into tube.
Let the ballon go and try to let the line spin off the spindle.
When it reaches the surface it will have expanded and then you can tie off the marker , or you could use a weighted spindle that you just drop.

This one works, too.
1) Take heavy duty balloon
2) Insert an Alka Selzer tablet into it
3) Using a small latching buret (or a clip like the ones used to seal opened bags of potato chips, clip the opening of the balloon shut.
4) wind a suitable length of nylon line onto an improvised holder such as a dowel or lead sinker and attach the other end to the clip
rubber band it all together.

To deploy...open the clip and allow a small quantity of water to enter the balloon. Re-clip the mouth of the balloon. Release it, holding and unspooling the line as it ascends. The carbon dioxide produced by the Alka Selzer will partially inflate the balloon. The gas will continue to expand as it makes its way to the surface.

I have used small bottles lots of times. Here is how I make/deploy them. This is one I use to mark exit points in Bonaire. 12,16 and 20 oz Coke bottles work well if you need a bigger buoy.

1. drill a small hole in the lid and thread a length of light line through it and tie it off.
. A button or similar item will help keep it from pulling out.
2. Tie the lid to the neck of the bottle leaving an inch or 2 free. Enough to allow the cap to be removed or installed.
3. On the other end of the line I attach a lead fishing weight and a rubber band.
. On this one I also have a couple of flags, makes the line easier to see but a bigger PITA to rewind under water..

To deploy.
Remove cap (it stays loose), turn the bottle open end down, fill with exhaust bubbles, replace top, remove rubber band from bottles, unwrap a few feet of line and release the bottle. It will unwind as it rises and any excess air will excape out the line hole.

Okay, I've found a new answer to the "cheap buoy marker" question.
There are a number of items often given away at the gates of sporting events (football, basketball, etc...) called "thunder sticks" or "bam bams". They're simple plastic tubes about two feet long and usually imprinted with a team's name. They're provided in pairs. The idea is to unroll the tubes (like a mini-safety sausage), blow them up, and then "clap" with them, producing a ringing percussionary noise.
Okay, I obtained a supply from my local high school. First, I glued a strip of plastic near the mouth of the thing, then attached a length of cord (about 80 feet). On subsequent attempts, I simply slit the excess plastic material near the mouthpiece and tied a loop of cord through it. It holds extremely well.
To deploy the device, a small puff of air is blown into it. Remember to use only a partial breath...there is no safety valve to release overpressure as it ascends to the surface. Allow room for expansion. To deflate, simply insert a drinking straw into the nozzle several inches (to get past the simple, plastic leaf valve inside the tube). It rolls into a very small package (about the size of a light stick), so several could be carried at a time in even a small BCD pocket. There are pictures of one of the first designs in my gallery.
It takes a bit of practice to deploy at depth, since you have to remove your reg to blow into it. Some interprising and creative souls could probably figure a way to inflate it with an octo. Still, it's an option worth investigating.

Back
Top Bottom