Military Members Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadian Armed Forces
Lieutenant
Fleet Diving Unit (Atlantic)
Diving Officer DCIEM Toronto
1972-1979
1979-1985 (Reserve)

Did i just work for a wannabe combat veteran?
He owns and tries to operate underwaterworld SCUBA in Omaha, Ne. He displays the S F "De Oppresso Liber" emblem in his store and on his vehicle and tells his customers that he was a Special forces Operator during Vietnam that served in Cambodia and Laos???

The stories he told me were very conflicting and hard to believe. One time i brought in an "Inert", practice claymore to the shop to paint from blue to O.D. He asked me what it was??? And the various times i told him that i had medical appointments at the Veterans Administration (V.A.), he would usually comment on how he hated the V.A. and would never go back there.

One of the medical problems that I have now is my knees. He would see me come into work with my knees all taped up and asked what was wrong. i would tell him that I had a couple bad ladings while jumping and he would reply with "you dont have to tell me about bad landings". He would also complain about his knees being in pain but didnt want to pay the cost for going to the doctor. If he is an actual combat veteran he could use the V.A. for free.

I had my doubt right off the bat when he told me he was SF in Vietnam and couldnt talk about it. i did some research through the Special Forces, Special Operations, Vietnam Veterans, VFW, the Legion, The American Airborne Association and the V.A. All came back with never hearing of this guy. And my unofficial report back from the V.A. doesnt even have him in the system.

Going back to his comments about the V.A., wouldnt he have to at least experience the V.A. before you would say that hated it or would never return???

Oh yeah, I can build a list of how he cheated, uninstructed and lied while being a P.A.D.I. instructor

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks and S/F, Martini

Here's a good place to start.

P.O.W. Network's Phonies Index

One guy listed there now told me he was in Panama and Somalia w/3rd Rangers while we were at a party. I was suspicious. He claimed a purple heart and other awards, which made me even more suspicious.

So I played a game with him. I had served in the 82nd Airborne Div with the CO of the Ranger company (then Capt. Steele) when he was a Major in the 82d's 505th PIR as the S3 (i think). Hell, I sat right next to him for a flight/jump from Bragg to DC where we did a parachute jump at the air show. Maj. Steele was L1 and I was L2, the first and 2nd men to exit the aircraft. I remember how he made us race him to the assembly area, anyone he beat did 25 pushups. I was one of the many that did 25 pushups (in front of thousands I should add) on the DZ that day.

So I'm leading this guy down the trail of "yeah man, the CO in the movie looks JUST like the real Capt. Steele! It was unreal - short, bald, quiet demeanor, low voice, etc..." All of this was pretty much the opposite as (now) Col. Steele is a huge man ... big barrel chested man with thick hair, a booming voice etc. Definitely NOT quiet! I then mentioned a squad leader that also fought in Somalia that I totally made up, saying how he was awarded the Silver Star for actions in Somalia and how he had moved to the 82nd Airborne to become a Platoon Sgt in my unit. Dude went on and on with traits of this guy that I made up, and never existed. The name I used was SFC Willis - i got that name from "What you talkin' bout Willis?"

By the way, it's illegal to tell lies like the above.

U.S.M.C.
lcpl
battalion recon
3rd mar div 4th marines
1981-1985

US Navy
AT2 (E-5 Aviation Electronics)
1982 - 1986

United States Army
2004-Last Week!
4th Infantry Division (Baghdad, 05-07)
1st Cavalry Division (Al Maysan, 08-09)

Now that I'm out, I can finally travel and dive more!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom