Military Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was finished with basic training and left Ft Knox I began to think that the only thing a tank could do was get stuck in the mud :D

I was thankful they told me my eyes weren't perfect so I had to chose something besides armor. What those guys went through made basic training seem like a cake walk.

If you wanted to go the distance you could join the Navy and petition for BUD/S training in Coranado, CA. If you pass the series of never-ending tests of physical and mental durability and proficiency you will eventually become a Navy SEAL. SEALS use the Draeger LAR V rebreather on all of their dives. They use an assortment of high ordinance to blow things up underwater. Dosent that sound like fun? If you get a chance read "The Warrior Elite- The forging of SEAL class 228." I just finished it. Its a great book that follows a SEAL class from Indoc at BUD/S through second phase (diving) and then third phase (land warfare). I would reccommend this book to anyone.

Use a variety of diving rigs including the LAR-V, SCUBA, and MK-16

Not as much demand for SEAL skills outside the military but the training is second to none and does not stop with completion of BUD's

SEAL's continue to attend a variety of follow on courses increasing the versatility of each team member. It would be a great opportunity for someone considering a career in the military.

One item of note is the comments cadet diver made about realistic goals... It applies even more so in this case...

Jeff Lane

yeah, I couldn't cut it as a SEAL. I'm not going to lie, I'd washout within a day. The biggest thing is that they are cold almost the whole time, and I don't like that. Those guys are nuts, and there is no way I could even come close to that.

I watched the episode of BUDs on the discover channel a few months ago where they were on scuba for the first time. Except for the pushups with twin tanks on your back, and the abuse it wasn't that much different than any basic class. Anyone of us could easily pass it. (except maybe the pushups. :) )

If you do go for it, just be glad that you already know how to dive.

My first exposure to diving was in the reserves when I was 18. We did our course at the reg force dive base out in BC. They do teach you how to dive, but they also put you through a "hell week" and the other 4 weeks weren't much easier physically wise. Most of your time in the classroom you're just trying to stay awake...so you don't absorb much. Well...you do, but only for the short term so you don't have to do any more push ups. My most memorable part of the diving was just the peace...they couldn't yell at you down there. Until they started using the underwater mic! Don't get me wrong though, it ws a great experience. You get a great sense of accomplishment from it.

The following would be the reaction of different types of soldiers upon encountering a snake in the training area:

· Infantry- kills the snake!

· Tanker - runs over the snake.....giggles...then backs over it.

· Armoured Recce-follows the snake and gets lost.

· Artillery - kills snake, but, in the process, kills several hundred civilians with regimental fire mission.

· Pilot - has GPS grid to snake.....can't find snake. Jettisons bombs over civilian area. Returns to base for crew rest at holiday inn. Drinks "snake special" at bar.

· Engineer - makes contact with snake...builds rapport...trains it to find antipersonnel mines.

· Us army ranger - assaults the snake's home and secures it for use by friendly snakes.

· Paratrooper - plays with the snake, then eats it.

· Military police - "Look, a kitty cat! Come here kitty. #%& ouch! ! ! Hey, that's not a kitty cat."

of my tank with the heater going. 60,000BTUs of comfort!
The Infantry guys would be outside in their parkas standing
in the snow. That's when I knew it was Armor for me.

As for diving in dark, cold, water to blow stuff up, this should get a little more thought. Why not get a good job and then go to Cozumel and dive in warm, clear water? Think about it.

But, if military diving is for you just remember what old soldiers say: "You'll be sorrrrryy"

Have your mind made before you step into the recruiter’s office and stick to your guns. This is worth repeating…many times over!
Nothing against those folks but they can be assertive. Back when I enlisted they used to get “hot sheets” with jobs they were supposed to push for that month.
If the MOS of your choice is not on the list, be prepared for the sales pitch from hell.

:sam:

One other thing to consider: Unless your doing Navy salvage diving, or Army Engineering diving, you are finning for miles at 30-40 feet with the oldest gear they could dig up (think horse collar). Then you spend 2-3 hours getting out of the water so no one can hear you. And then finally you dig a hole and burry your gear. Not much fun if you ask me. If you want to kill stuff, just go infantry or SF.

All of the guys I know with the bubble are pretty bad recreational divers too. Its actually pretty funny to watch them.

Back
Top Bottom