Mildly regretting a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just remembered a really bad experience. We were on a lovely dive in Cayman Brac, great conditions, beautiful reef, friendly groupers, it looked to be a nice time. But suddenly the strap on my husband's mask broke for unknown reasons. I tried to fix it but failed so he handed me his camera and strobe while he tried to fix it. He finally gave up and I held on to him while he held the mask to his face while we surfaced and headed back to the boat. When we got near the boat I realized that I no longer had his camera. After he got back on board I went back down to look but couldn't find it.

The other passengers on the boat were very kind and they agreed to dive the same site again for our second dive (we were in the shallower area of the dive when it happened) so that we could all look for the camera, but we never found it. The divemasters managed to fix his mask strap and my husband joined the search but came up empty-handed. My husband is a great guy and he never blamed me, but I felt terrible about it - I still do.

For the rest of the week the divemasters asked the other boats and divers to keep an eye out for his camera, but it never turned up. I regret that dive.

Last edited:
After a 2.5 hour drive to Venice Fl, the waves made ingress and egress difficult and we only had derepmeT vis. You know, where the only thing you can see is a backward "Tempered" written on your facemask.

I am beyond impressed. I have never heard that before. ::golf clap::

I kinda regret the dive I did in Playa Del Carmen last January. I had only dove from boats where you got on at the docks and geared up onboard previously (well, and training dives at the springs in Florida). I was not aware that we'd be walking/swimming in full gear out to the boat when I booked a 2-tank morning dive trip, so I wasn't really prepared for what was to come. So I was a bit surprised to find out that we'd be gearing up at the shop, then walking ~100+ yards across the beach to get to the water, to find the waves/current quite strong (3 staff helping to hold the line out to the boat).

So then we finally get out to the first dive site and it was underwhelming to say the least. They called it a reef, but I think they were taking liberties with that word... the fish were few and far between, and nothing great. Surfacing, the waves had gotten worse (3-4 ft minimum) which made getting on the boat a pain. After getting on and getting my gear off is when I noticed that sometime between surfacing and sitting down my GoPro had busted off the wrist mount it was on (I'm guessing when trying to get on in the waves) and was now lost. Not feeling bad about the lost footage as the dive was very boring, but not happy about the lost camera.

So, next up was checking my sugars between dives... except the zip-lock bag I had my glucose meter in decided to get a couple holes in it on the walk/swim/pull on the rope getting onto the boat, so that fried the meter when it got wet (I've since bought a couple different dry bags). So now I'm 1/2 way through our 2-tank dive and I can't tell what my blood sugars are so I have to sit out the next dive (a very hungover other diver also sat out as the sea state coupled with his previous evenings activities kept him from being in shape to dive). So I spent the rest of the dive trip on the boat. By the time we got back to the shore, the current and waves were even worse and all dive boats cancelled dives for the rest of the day. Getting to shore was a very "diagonal" trip, even with the line leading to shore (which was NOT easy to hold on to).

The trip really put me off swimming out to dive boats, so I decided not to book anymore dives for the rest of that trip. In hindsight, I think it may have been better to try again a different day so that wasn't my only experience with that type of dive setup and location, preferably on a day with calmer water.

In the end, the dive was not worth the cost or frustration, so I regret going. For future dives I've learned to look up the conditions so hopefully I can avoid a repeat of that experience, and I've got dry bags to take my stuff onto the boats with.

I've regretted diving hung over a few times. Once I thew up through my reg at depth because the surge was so powerful. The other time I was chumming the water on the surface from a hangover, wearing too much wetsuit, and diving from a 14' inflatable boat offshore in Hawaii seas. Makes me nauseous just thinking about it.

A couple dives when I surfaced to a wildly bucking boat and ladder, and me wearing doubles. With any luck I probably also had a full bladder.

But up until that moment I didn't regret the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom