Mikron... environmentally sealed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mikron is not environmentally sealed. The Core Supreme is.

Check out these two pictures. You can see the Core Supreme has a CWD.

Aqua-Lung-Core-Supreme-Regulator-6.jpg

Here is the Mikron.

Aqua-Lung-Mikron-Stage-3-Set-5.jpg

Though if you dive in mostly warm water adding a cold water kit is a waste. Just make sure to wash your first stage and inspect the top area where the hex key slot is. Just make sure no dirt/sand/etc is down the hole. I'll let others explain the pro's and con's of completely sealed first stages.

FWIW LIsa I own multiple Mikrons and service them myself as well.

My first question is why the shop recommended the environmental seal. The Mikron is sealed in the way that all diaphragm firsts are sealed. Unless you are diving under extreme conditions no additional environmental sealing is needed.

]
The diaphragm has to somehow sense actual ambient pressure. How do you think it can do that without being in contact with the water? The sealing kit prevents water contact by adding another diaphragm on the outside and a “pin” actuating the original one.

I was trying to keep it simple. Yes, the diaphragm is in contact with the water, but he diaphragm keeps the water away from the working internals of the first stage, unlike a piston 1st stage which mixes more water with the internal working parts of the 1st stage and is more susceptible to contaminates and cold water freezing. Not trying to start a debate over piston vs diaphragm...they are both tools that have advantages and disadvantages and their places in scuba diving.

UNCFNP:

The dive shop didn’t say I needed one but said it would be a benefit. From the picture that was posted, I see that mine matches the bottom picture and not the top.

I’m sorry for my little knowledge but I am very new. I’m going to really have to look into this and understand it. I guess if I don’t have it, I won’t really need it since I won’t be diving in cold water anymore, right? 34*F was enough for me 4 times!

You’ve all been so helpful.

Lisa

To be clear, for purposes of cold water suitable regulator choices we are talking water temps below 50F. And for a Mikron, modifying the 1st does not mean the 2nd will be okay. I would not dive cold with a Mikron, with or without the ES kit.

To be clear, for purposes of cold water suitable regulator choices we are talking water temps below 50F. And for a Mikron, modifying the 1st does not mean the 2nd will be okay. I would not dive cold with a Mikron, with or without the ES kit.

Yes, I totally understand this and would not be diving in cold water with the Mikron. I would just buy another regulator if I wanted to recall the craziness of the cold temps. :)

I think the OP wants to know if this is worth the money, or if the local dive shop is selling an unnecessary service. @LisaCT , correct me if I am wrong, please.

UNCFNP:

The dive shop didn’t say I needed one but said it would be a benefit. From the picture that was posted, I see that mine matches the bottom picture and not the top.

I’m sorry for my little knowledge but I am very new. I’m going to really have to look into this and understand it. I guess if I don’t have it, I won’t really need it since I won’t be diving in cold water anymore, right? 34*F was enough for me 4 times!

You’ve all been so helpful.

Lisa

Here is where the cold water kit might be a benefit. If you are are the type of individual who doesn't really inspect things, forgets to wash or procrastinate's cleaning your equipment, will be diving murky or dirty water, kinda clumsy and might drop your first stage in dirt or sand.
Here is where I personally feel the cold water kits don't benefit you. "Personally" I feel the first stage doesn't breath as well and I have to play around with IP, often increasing IP to make it breath the same. "Personally" I find it more of a PITA to service and will service it more often because of the added oil. Also I think AquaLung has free parts for life......but can't go over one year service interval, keep each service receipt, and pay for labor. Some shops might charge extra labor if you have a cold water kit.

I think the OP wants to know if this is worth the money, or if the local dive shop is selling an unnecessary service. @LisaCT , correct me if I am wrong, please.

No. I don’t believe they are trying to sell me something I don’t need. I think it’s my understanding and probably more misunderstanding about the reg being ES. They told me it wasn’t (and I believe them) but was confused by what I’ve read online from companies selling the Mikron who say it IS ES and also the dive shop I bought it from says it’s ES.

There is so much conflicting information. I thought maybe I should do it anyway so when it comes time for maintenance, I won’t be shocked at the amount of “gunk” (my newbie is showing) in there.

SO much conflicting information!!

I am the one who said maybe I should get it anyway. In no way is the dive shop forcing me to get this.

Aqua Lung Mikron

Here is where the cold water kit might be a benefit. If you are are the type of individual who doesn't really inspect things, forgets to wash or procrastinate's cleaning your equipment, will be diving murky or dirty water, kinda clumsy and might drop your first stage in dirt or sand.
Here is where I personally feel the cold water kits don't benefit you. "Personally" I feel the first stage doesn't breath as well and I have to play around with IP, often increasing IP to make it breath the same. "Personally" I find it more of a PITA to service and will service it more often because of the added oil. Also I think AquaLung has free parts for life......but can't go over one year service interval, keep each service receipt, and pay for labor. Some shops might charge extra labor if you have a cold water kit.

Oh, trust me. I will take care of it and clean it immediately. If I want to dive in murky water, I think I would just buy an alternate reg that would do what the Mikron doesn’t do, like using it in cold water.

Thank you for your knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom