Miflex hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I upgraded my 7' to a Miflex hose and love it. Doesn't seem to hold a memory like the standard rubber hoses. Much more flexible and smaller diameter. The only issue i've had is the bolt snap slides around a bit. Very minor and not something that would sway me away from them.

Thanks for the replys. Bought a LP and HP. All the positive reviews are IMO on the mark. I dove with my new hoses and think they are the best thing since spring straps.

Do any of you dive a 7 foot hose for a primary? the flexibility looks good for routing, but Does the MiFlex braiding irritate your neck?
Thanks...
Honestly, I'd have to say "yes" on this; I do have sensitive skin, though.

I've also noticed that my 7-footer has had some fraying now and then, which does not affect it's integrity. I'm not really sure what caused it, but some of the "nubs" have been behind my neck and in the summer (no hood), that has been annoying.

When I find these nubs, I trim them flush with a nail clipper....

I haven't noticed fraying on any of the shorter hoses...

The only negative reports I've heard on the MiFlex hoses are from a diver who uses scooters a lot, and had problems with the more flexible MiFlex hose flapping around too much when scootering. It's a thread here on SB, I'm just too lazy to search for it right now.

Not being one to use scooters myself, I have been converting my hoses over to MiFlex after using one for the first time when I built my pony bailout. This next week I'm planning to replace my HP hose with MiFlex as well, if my LDS can adapt the Sherwood Wisdom computer's quick-release connector to the standard HP MiFlex (they claim they can).

Now that I'm running my reg off a long-ish MiFlex hose routed underarm (and with a 90-degree adaptor), I have very free movement and never feel tension or pressure on my mouth the way I sometimes did with the stiff rubber hose routed over-shoulder, even with the Atomic ball mount (which I removed when converting to MiFlex).

I still have one rubber hose, an LP inflator hose for my i3 inflator, but there's actually an advantage to keeping that a stiff rubber hose, because it's routed down along the back of the BC, which is harder to do with a more flexible line (especially if the tank is already strapped in). Also, once it's connected, there's really no need for it to flex much and it doesn't affect my movement, so I haven't yet seen any advantage to converting that one to MiFlex.

>*< Fritz

A little follow-up...

Thanks for the comments on the 7 footers. I made the switch last week and dove it Sat/Sun. So far I'm pretty pleased. As one poster pointed out; I did "notice" it at a few points as I turned my head, but it was not that distracting or an issue. The extra flex seemed to make the difference of an inch or two for me on length so it's a little easier to turn my head to the left.
Thanks.

My rig is currently at the shop to replace the HP hose with one of the new MiFlex ones. We're trying to figure a way to attach a Sherwood Wisdom computer to it - tricky since the Sherwood has a custom HP quick-disconnect that locks you into using only their rubber HP hose, but we think we've found a way around that.

If successful, I'll post the results with pics in a separate thread under the Computers section.

Back
Top Bottom