Mid-West GPS Coords

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Over the winter while many of you have been diving dry, I have been busy doing more important things like trying to accumulate a log of GPS Coordinates for dive sites in the Mid-West (okay, it makes me feel better to say I was doing something other than diving - maybe next year I'll be dry).

Anyway, here is what I've accumulated from many sources. I had to delete many of the pictures due to file size, but I thought I would share what I have and hopefully if somebody out there can add to it, I'd be most appreciative. Let me know if you have something to add.

Also, to many of you who have already given me information - THANK YOU!!!!!

Here it is (If the file attaches-never done this before)

View attachment GPS - Diving Locations posting.doc

S. Nagel

Yes thank you very much, that type of stuff can really come in handy...

Phil

Nice work Nagel.

Just FYI, the deepest object in Copter Cove at Beaver Lake is the 2nd of the Piper Cub airplanes. It is in 45-50 ft of water. Last season, the stacked boats were marked w/ an orange jug/float.

Just a quick question. I put some of the coordinates into Google Earth and just had a question for you. It seems that Goose Island and Jakes Point Island are pretty much the same thing, and Oasis put me in the middle of land. Maybe Google Earth is not the accurate with the coordinates. Just curious if you have tried the same or not. Thanks again for putting this together...

Did you use my lat/long for Oasis? It's right and I know Google Earth shows it correctly. There's a thread here when I posted verifed govt. data about it's actual location.

Note, I no longer believe it's there. It's been removed a long time ago and I'm positive the dive magazine article was a fabrication.

I haven't had a chance to verify anything that is listed. I'm hoping to verify as much as possible this dive season. The reason I posted now was to start the process because many of you can offer input (as you are). This will help make this more accurate. Thanks for the input already and keep it coming. I'm hoping that this will help me and many others, but yes it does need some work to ensure accuracy. My hope is that as many people as possible will use this and report back on this forum as to if something is correct or wrong. As much as I want to, I can't get to every site, but as a group I think we can.

I got much of the information from dive shops and people that have emailed me information. So, I would hope to believe it is somewhat accurate, but I can't say 100%that it is.

If you see something that is wrong or right let me know. If there is interest I will post this frequently as I add to it and correct it.

Again, thanks for the input and please keep the information coming.

S. Nagel

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=125559&highlight=oasis

That's what I turned up, plat map links are there as well as correct lat/long. For what it's worth, the ones Nagel listed are close enough that I'd say they're as accurate as anything the govt. provided which is what I listed. However, depending on the datum used you can have some small errors creep in.

For what it's worth, the lat/long in the .doc file are in the water a bit to the south and east of the town center. Close enough and certainly not on the land, using Google Earth from my computer. I'm not sure why you had it show up on land, could your format for the lat/long be different and not compensate? I.e. most of the coords given were in the form of 38.1234 degrees and I used the more common degree minute second form and also happen to be how it's listed in the .doc Nagel put together.

nagel:
The reason I posted now was to start the process because many of you can offer input

I can only say one thing, thanks.

Well, I can add one request. Try to keep the coordinate formats all the same, and because many users of the doc might use maps on the boat and maybe not gps can you place the coordinates in a degree minute second format so they would have an easier time at it. Right now they'd need to know how to convert the .xxxx stuff into minutes and seconds which is easy enough to do but would be more work than some might like.

Back
Top Bottom