Mid-trip report--Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We've been on Maui for a few days and have done 3 charters thus far, 2 with ERDA and one with LD. On Sunday we were out with ERDA and the wind was up, making Molokini crater look like a washing machine on the rinse cycle! Our captain, Bird, headed around the side only to see another dive boat hanging out there. They spoke with eachother and the other captain remarked he had divers in the water, but once they were up, he'd be moving since the conditions were worsening. Bird didn't mess around and headed south to look for good conditions. We wound up down at Pinnacle Point and La Perouse Bay, both farther south than we've been able to dive before. Cool sites, quite a bit to see, and with the water being almost flat, great conditions.

Monday we headed to Lanai with LD. The ocean conditions were perfect....flat and a very easy ride to Lanai. We did First Cathedral and No Name, both being good if a little short on marine life and only 45 minute dives. Since the water is currently 74-75 degrees, I was okay with slightly shorter dives. The crew was good and Gwen, our guide, quickly understood we didn't need babysitting and left us to simply follow her at a distance.

Tuesday we were back with ERDA for a 3-tank charter, and although the water looked good at first, Molokini resembled that washing machine again. It's really weird to see NO boats in the crater! The backwall was much better and we had a fantastic dive, including seeing a Turberculosis Nudibranch (sp?)!! After the first dive, Captain Ken headed into the crater, but the conditions were still rough, with only LD's boat to be seen with divers in the water. We again headed south, this time even farther than Sunday to River Run and Golden Arches in lake-like water. The topography is absolutely stunning in both places, and you find yourself looking at the rock and lava formations as much as critters. We were treated to octopus at both sites as well as a lot of juvenile fish, and an endemic Bandit Angelfish.

Definitely enjoying our diving and hoping conditions soon improve so we can dive some of our favorite sites at Molokini as well as places like Red Hill.

Oh, I'm envious of the run south! Personally, I've had as good or better dives in the non-Molokini sites on and around Maui -- but I've never been as far south as you went. Since that part of the island is less developed AND less dived, I'd think the reefs would be healthier and more interesting.

Are you seeing whales on the boat rides to the dive sites? That was my favorite part of diving Maui.

I'm VERY jealous!! Thanks for the report.

On our way tomorrow. Can't wait!

Are you seeing whales on the boat rides to the dive sites? That was my favorite part of diving Maui.

As a matter of fact, yesterday we were treated to a couple of full breaches as well as one tail slapping repeatedly (5-6x) near Molokini.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that WE SAW ONE UNDER WATER TODAY!!!! :D:D

Not only did he go by us only about 40-50' away, but he circled completely around the front and went back the way he came. My husband was the only one out of 4 photographers who got pictures. :D

As a matter of fact, yesterday we were treated to a couple of full breaches as well as one tail slapping repeatedly (5-6x) near Molokini.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that WE SAW ONE UNDER WATER TODAY!!!! :D:D

Not only did he go by us only about 40-50' away, but he circled completely around the front and went back the way he came. My husband was the only one out of 4 photographers who got pictures. :D

Wow! Congrats! Not too many people actually get to see the whales while diving. Awesome!

Please share the pictures when you get a chance.

Who are you diving with?

We're mostly shore diving but we'll be out with Ed's on the 27th and 29th.

Flew in just in time for sunset tonight and watched a whale do a full breach from the lanai of our condo and then watched tons and tons of whales playing until it was dark. I'm more than a little excited!

d

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom