Mid November???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inspector#2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in the Killeen area in mid November and wondering if I should bring some dive gear.
Should have a govt. rental car and a couple days to kill so if there is anything within 100 miles please let me know.
Thanks,
Dave

I Lived near there and spent many a day at both lakes. There is a dive shop in Killeen and I think they dive Stillhouse Lake. Can't tell you how good the diving is because I just started diving this year and haven't been back for a long time.

I forgot about Stillhouse and Benton. I only lived at Ft. Hood for two years you would think I could remember the lakes. Too much alcohol.
Thanks,
Dave

Although the dry suit would probably be overkill. November should be OK with 5mm. Local lakes can be good in the fall. Lk Travis is local diving hotspot about 65 miles from Killeen. Another option is San Marcos about 90 miles south.
http://ci.san-marcos.tx.us/
It's clear and stays around 68 to 70 so even 3mm is good. Depth rarely over 10 ft but plenty of critters and treasures.
Wife and I are planning a trip to Coz around then but let me know more about your date and we can probably get wet together.

I have to go down to Killeen to inspect an aircraft coming out of maintenance around the first or second week of November so I will post again in late October if everything is still on.

Hope to meet you then,

Dave

Here's the official data from the LCRA on surface temps. Lake Travis is at 86d right now - so planning for 65-75 should be about right - that's a 5mm for me.

Historical Average Lake Surface Temperatures

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lake Travis Lake Austin
January 55 53
February 53 53
March 56 58
April 62 63
May 70 65
June 77 69
July 82 74
August 84 77
September 83 76
October 77 74
November 70 67
December 61 58

Thats great. Here in Idaho it rarely gets above 60 @ 15' unless you dive the rivers. I've been down at 34F with a 7mm and it is just a little too cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom